Menu

92 Accord Clutch issue

• Creator
    Topic
    Rich RichWhiteheadRichWhitehead
    Participant

Hello all.
      I’ve been working on a 92 Accord that sat unused in my driveway for over two years. As you can imagine there was nothing but rust when I removed the tires.
      So far I’ve changed front calipers, front and rear pads and rotors and bled brake lines….I’ve patched a fuel line as well and I’ve got the car running now.
      Issue I’m starting to address now is the clutch. Initially the clutch would stay on the floor when I pushed it down. I watched the ETCG video and would feel comfortable changing out the clutch master and slave but if i don’t have to do it…i’d rather save the dough…
      i followed the bleeding instructions (although I had my daughter in the car to save myself from any accidental exercise like Eric had in the video). I’ve got a bit of a clutch now but it seems a little odd…The pedal comes back all the way now, but there is a whole lot of travel before the clutch engages…it feels like the clutch only engages very shortly before it hits the floor…maybe four inches before it hits the floor…Is that normal? or should I be bleeding it more…or should I just go ahead and replace the clutch master and slave?
      Interested to know your thoughts.
      Thanks

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      wardak33wardak33
      Participant

Did you remember how the clutch was before storing the car? Reason why I ask is you may have a worn clutch. Did you bleed out all of the old fluid with new fluid? Any slippage?

Rich RichWhiteheadRichWhitehead
        Participant

It’s been over two years…I really don’t remember what the clutch was like….I don’t believe I completely bled all the old fluid out though as it was still looking pretty brown (as opposed to golden) coming out the bleeder….I stopped when the clutch pedal was returning on its own power…..I believe I’ll continue bleeding it until I see the new fluid coming from the bleeder.
          Thanks for the reply.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

You can always inspect the clutch master as shown in the video for leaks, if you find any I would recommend replacing both the master and slave. If you don’t find any leaks it may be reasonable to assume that the clutch is just as rusted as the rest of the car and needs replacement. The worst thing you can do to a car is let it sit as the rust and dry rot will pretty much attack every system on the car, once you get it back on the road you may find more issues, my guess would be that the tires need replacing as well. Good luck.

baylenbaylen
            Participant

Last time I had that issue, the spring blades were bent, bearly but enough to keep me tied up all day.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
              Participant

It’s probably going to need a clutch over hall.
                Eric has a clutch video for this i think.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…