Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • ’93 Honda Accord D4 Blinking Light

’93 Honda Accord D4 Blinking Light

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here ’93 Honda Accord D4 Blinking Light

• Creator
    Topic
    @Bred_2Win@Bred_2Win
    Participant

What does the D4 blinking light on my 1993 Honda Accord mean? How do I go about figuring out exactly what it is and solving it?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Bad_dudeBad_dude
      Participant

Does your speedometer and odometer work? If not, most likely the speed sensor above transmission. As for you jerkie shifting, it could be related to the VSS being bad, but when mine went bad, it did not do that. But some others have reported having rough shifting. You might want to change the fluid to Honda’s brand fluids. I am very familiar with this car. Do you have an automatic? If so, you might want to consider replacing all of the capacitors in the TCU to avoid a real burn out. The most common symptoms with bad TCU is solid D4 light and not shifting all of the gears. This TCU issues only applies to automatic tranny.
        The VSS from Honda OEM is about $165 if you have mechanic discount. If not it’s $195. You have options of buying used from Ebay or after market. Problem with aftermarket, it might not work at all of not function correctly. A few people got lucky with after market. It’s an electronic device. I bought mine new about 3 years ago. Watch out don’t lose that little pin that suppose to go into the tranny top.
        Here you go:
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread. … gine+light

college mancollege man

theres a blue two pin connector on the passengers side. you need to jump that connector and read the flashes.
          Heres a link that will help you. when you pull the codes post back and we will help you from there.C8-)

http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/e … ing-13190/

johnzcarzjohnzcarz
          Participant

This site has some additional information and what the diagnostic codes are:

http://techauto.awardspace.com/transmis … leshooting

dreamer2355dreamer2355
            Participant

Thanks for posting those links!

All bookmarked C8-)

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

Pull the code as suggested for starters to see what you’re looking at. The next step is to check the fluid level and condition, make sure the engine is OFF when you do this. It’s also important to note that Honda’s don’t like anything but Honda fluid in their gearboxes so if you or someone else used other fluid it would be a good idea to get it out of there but before you do that pull the code and make sure the transmission doesn’t have an internal issue that would require replacement or overhaul first or you would be wasting your time.

Bad_dudeBad_dude
                Participant

Quoted From EricTheCarGuy:

The next step is to check the fluid level and condition, make sure the engine is OFF when you do this.

I read some where that you check it when the car is running at idle and level. Which is the correct way for auto fluid check?
                  Here’s some thing else to read. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread. … sion+fluid

Thanks.

Keymaster

Quoted From Bad_dude:

I read some where that you check it when the car is running at idle and level. Which is the correct way for auto fluid check?
                    Here’s some thing else to read. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread. … sion+fluid

Thanks.

Please post where you saw that because I don’t know a Honda transmission that was ever made that you would check that way.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                    Participant

Different manufacturers have there own outlines on how to check transmission fluid.

Usually your owners manual should state how to correctly check the level.

But Eric is right on the way to check Honda’s.

Bad_dudeBad_dude
                      Participant

I read it from a few threads on CB7tuner site. I checked my Hayne’s and it says with engine off but for manual tranny and didn’t mention any thing about auto. I don’t really like the Haynes manual as it doesn’t give much details on certain thing like the torque spec on the caliper bracket, which I think is 80 ft/lb. I wish I could afford that big bible for Hondas.
                        So with engine off on mine, it’s level is a little above the upper mark, should I draw some out or is that ok? So far no ill effect and I just replaced it again last week. With the engine running it’s at the upper level.
                        I guess the OP solved his problem, haven’t seen him back here yet with an update.

Thanks.

johnzcarzjohnzcarz
                        Participant

Did you test it after driving/running the engine or after it sat a while? I’ve seen high readings when fluid drains back into the pan overnight, but when tested right after driving it was fine.

Bad_dudeBad_dude
                          Participant

Quoted From johnzcarz:

Did you test it after driving/running the engine or after it sat a while? I’ve seen high readings when fluid drains back into the pan overnight, but when tested right after driving it was fine.

The car drives fine. I tested both ways when cold and warmed up. I don’t think a little extra fluid is going to cause it to run crazy.

Keymaster

I would say your level is good. I can’t believe on a Honda site they would suggest checking Honda fluid with the engine running, I have a box somewhere with some mangled dip sticks from people attempting this and yes on some Honda transmissions if you try to insert the dip stick with the engine running it WILL come into contact with the rotating assemblies. I agree that a little extra fluid is not a problem so don’t worry about that. The key is to pull the codes and see what you’re looking at.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Loading…