Menu

93 Honda speedometer stopped

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 93 Honda speedometer stopped

• Creator
    Topic
    uncle Buckuncle Buck
    Participant

Yep It just stopped. Its a 1993 Accord automatic transmission and I had just pushed it backwards in neutral. Would that have killed it? I only pushed it about 50 yards. How do I fix this?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BigCBigC
      Participant

Hi uncle Buck,

I would suggest checking any fuse related to the speedometer. In addition, check to make sure the connection for the vehicle speed sensor (from the transmission) is intact. Definitely seems odd that the speedometer just stopped working. Keep us posted.

mfdfirefighter46mfdfirefighter46
        Participant

i agree with big c sounds like your vss went bad i had a 94 honda accord once and mine went bad just out of nowhere no warning nothing its happens its not to bad to change if i remember correct you can get to it from under the hood. good luck

inxsinxs
          Participant

Did the check engine light turn on after this happened or did the D4 or S light start flashing? If so, short the service connector to check for codes.

You can also try to set the cruise control. If the cruise control works, then the VSS is likely working. I think you have to be going over 30 or 35 mph to set the cruise control.

ElfyElfy
            Participant

same thing happened to my honda, i was driving to the hospitol cuz my lady was about to give birth when speedometer gave.. i just followed the crowd lol. My problem was a fuse under the dash.. that was my problem

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

The most commone cause of that is a bad speed sensor, in fact it happens on those cars a lot. Pull any codes you might have and if you have one for a speed sensor replace it and recheck for the condition. I don’t think pushing the car had anything to do with it.

uncle Buckuncle Buck
                Participant

We it started working again by itself….so there you have it…thanks everyone for your advice.

pwtepwte
                  Participant

This sounds a lot like the problem I had with my 95 accord a couple years ago.

My speedometer would read around 20mph reguardless of what speed I was actually going, sometimes it would start working again randomly and then randomly it would stop working again. When the speedometer wasn’t working neither would the odometer but the cruise control still worked.

I searched around online and found where everyone kept talking about the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) for a non working speedometer issue and so I decided to replace it. That didn’t change anything, the speedometer still worked and didn’t work seemingly randomly.

Then I found a post online where someone mentioned that if the cruise control works than the VSS must be working (not sure if this is true but it made sense to me) and if that was the case than the speedometer problem was the unit itself in the instrument cluster. So I picked up an instrument cluster from a junk yard for $50 and swapped it out. That fixed it and I haven’t had an issue since. I was able to get a cluster that had milleage on the odometer very close to what my car had so that worked out well.

I’ve heard that you can pull the cluster apart and change out just the speedometer leaving the odometer in place so you don’t loose your original milleage but I didn’t try it.

EdmanEdman
                    Participant

I had the same problem on my 90″ CB3. Just cleened the parts(not many in there 😀 ) in the speed sensor, put it all together and woula it vorks fine again 🙂

olddogolddog
                      Participant

Hi Uncle Buck…I have the same issue, done lots of research, however the couch has had a strong grip on me lately. You have inspired me as has this website to fight slugdom and get dirty. I will let you know how I fixed mine and what all I did…first I will pull the code…then start do some voltage checks. I have been to the Honda forums a lot in the past ..this seems to be a very very common Honda Accord problem. I have heard of solutions ranging from a circuit board on the speedometer , bad VSS, fuze, and bad dash dimmer switch.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…