Menu

95 chevy blazer 4×4 problem

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 95 chevy blazer 4×4 problem

• Creator
    Topic
    guitarranger11guitarranger11
    Participant

I am very confused about my 95 Chevy blazer’s 4 wheel drive. It has the 3 button dash switch(2 wheel 4 hi 4 lo) when you push the 4 high the 4 hi and 4 low blinks a few times and both lights turn off. When you push the 4 Lo it blinks a few times and both 4 hi and 4 Lo stays lit up. The 4 wheel drive never engages. I am at a lost on what to do or where to start so any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much everyone.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

Normally you need to driver forward a bit before the 4 wheel will engage, if you’re not doing this it may be the cause. The first thing to do is verify that the 4wd really isn’t engaging. You also might check the owners manual to see if it has an explanation for why the light flashes the way it does.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
        Participant

Those Blazer had issues with there encoder motors on the transfer case.

Do you have access to a factory service manual or even wiring diagrams to help trouble shoot?

Participant

Here’s an update on my 4×4 issue. To answer dreamer 2355 unfortunatly I don’t have a service manual or wiring diagram. And I took Eric’s advice and pushed the 4 hi button and both 4 hi and 4 Lo blinks a few times and both light up and disappear but when I drive forward it and the rpm will increase about 600 rpms and it must engage because it feels like the gear is lower but has no power. The 4 low will make both buttons stay lit and I drive forward and it goes into a real low feeling so I’m guessing its engaged. I forgot to mention when I put it into 4 hi when I drove forward it shifted so hard I thought I left the tranny behind me lol. Any ideas I would be greatful for the advice

dreamer2355dreamer2355
            Participant

Some 4wd vehicle can not be shifted on the fly. You need to be stationary before making the change in the transfer case.

Keymaster

Yea I think you should see if you can dig up your owners manual to see if you are activating the 4wd properly, as stated you need to stop the vehicle before engagement or disengagement normally and you need to be moving in order to engage or release the 4wd.

Participant

Here’s an update on my 4×4 question. Even tho I have found an owners manual and I am engaging the 4 wheel drive correctly the 3 button lights on the dash switch still don’t stay lite but im sure I’ve tracked down the problem or at least one of the problems: there is a hose that runs out of a vacuum line and runs into a T connector and the larger hose which is 3/8 goes into a piece called electric break control front drive axle vacuum switch and the smaller hose coming off the T connector goes down and is hanging down by the bottom of the radiator and is connected to nothing and I started the car and put my thumb on the end of the hose and just as i knew its a vacuum hose. Does anyone have an idea where this hose goes I looked all over that area and can’t find any port for it to go into…. Please someone bless me with their knowledge.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                  Participant

Did you try looking for vacuum diagrams in the free Chilton’s online we have posted in the ‘How To’ section?

Keymaster

Good find. What I sometimes do in a situation like that is hold the hose in the direction where I think it goes and move my arm in an arch for an area to look in for the connection. As for a vacuum diagram you might be able to find one online but defiantly in the service manual if you can track one of those down, sometimes you can pick them up on ebay pretty reasonable.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…