Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 96 Ford Thunderbird – Intermittent No Crank Start

96 Ford Thunderbird – Intermittent No Crank Start

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 96 Ford Thunderbird – Intermittent No Crank Start

• Creator
    Topic
    fredsmythsonfredsmythson
    Participant

I have a 1996 Ford Thunderbird with a 4.6 engine and auto trans. The car has an intermittent no crank / no start issue. When I try to the start the car in park, the engine will not crank. Indicator lights on the instrument panel are on, but there are no noises coming from the starter. This problem began about four months ago.

I’ll try to start the car two or three times, moving the ignition key back to the “off” position and then to the “run” and “start” positions. Then finally, maybe on the fourth attempt to start the car, it will start normally.

I’m thinking this might be a problem with the neutral safety switch. After researching this issue, this car has a transmission range sensor and a park neutral switch that might cause an intermittent start problem.

Does anyone know what switch or sensor might cause an intermittent start problem? Thanks…

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

it could be the ignition switch itself. Try putting it in
        neutral and see if it starts.

fredsmythsonfredsmythson
        Participant

I tried starting the car in neutral and it’s the same intermittent issue. When I had the trans in neutral it started about four times with no problems, but one time it did not start and the starter made one single “click” sound. Turned the ignition key to off, waited a few minutes, then tried again and it started normally.

I checked the battery and it checked out good. Battery is about 30 months old. Headlights are bright with the engine off.

I know starters can do some weird things when they start to go bad. The car has 110K miles and it has its original starter.

So, I’m thinking this is a starter issue or a neutral safety switch issue. Any other ideas on where the problem might be? Thanks…

college mancollege man

If its starting better/more in neutral then the neutral
            safety switch would be suspect.Keep us posted on your progress.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

Actually if you hear the click every time then it’s possible that the starter is at fault. It could also be the ignition switch as pointed out. As for the range switch. Try holding the shifter more in the Park position when you try and start it next time. Sort of push it forward more into the park position when you turn the key. If you get consistent starting this way, perhaps the switch just needs some adjustment.

Good luck and keep us posted.

fredsmythsonfredsmythson
              Participant

I finally was able to look at this problem again, because the car would not crank at all a few days ago. I did not think to do a detailed check of the battery previously, because it was an AutoZone 84 month battery that was only three years old.

I charged the battery for 24 hours and tried it in the car again. Still a no crank/no start situation.

I decided to take the battery back to AutoZone so they could test it. The AutoZone guy tested the battery and said it was 80% charged. I told him I had charged the battery full, so I was thinking this might be a defective battery. I traded in the old battery (with warranty) and I purchased a new battery at a discounted price.

I installed the new battery and the car started right up. I’ve been driving the car for a couple of weeks, and I haven’t had any intermittent start issues.

So, an 84 month battery only lasted about 40 months. I think I better find a different brand of battery… Thanks!

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

Thanks for the update. Yes, there are quality variances in batteries that’s for sure. They often go for the ‘this battery will last forever’ in order to sell them. In truth many batteries rarely make it the stated life span. Thing is the companies that make them know this and because they prorate the warranty, they still get paid if it fails early. After that it’s very difficult to get off the merry-go-round. It’s more or a racket than anything else if you asked me.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…