Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 96 Plymouth Breeze Steering Wheel Vibration

96 Plymouth Breeze Steering Wheel Vibration

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 96 Plymouth Breeze Steering Wheel Vibration

• Creator
    Topic
    DrivewayAlDrivewayAl
    Participant

Hey Guys, I have a 96 2.0L Plymouth Breeze that has a vibration or can also be called more of a shaking coming thru the steering wheel. It does this at idle but also is more pronounced when in drive and stopped like at a stop sign or light. So far I have changed timing belt, plugs, cam and crank sensors. The problem was there before and after I did this work. The car has 110,000mi. I want to keep the car for another few yrs. but want to fix this issue. Not sure where to start looking. I was thinking it could be a steering component or something. The only thing I noticed strange was the tranny fluid is overfilled some. Not sure if that has something to do with it. I need help. Thanks.
      Driveway Al

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      619DioFan619DioFan
      Participant

Since the vibration is happening with the car not moving but running I would check for excessively worn or broken motor /tranny mounts. with car running , ebrake on put it in drive, foot on brake ( block the tires too- can never be to safe ) have someone watch the engine as a load is put on it ( make sure they watch from the side- again can never be too safe ) see if the motor moves excessively while under load.

pcmdjasonpcmdjason
        Participant

Broken transmission mount. My old 96 stratus had the same problem. I’m guessing the problem mostly goes away when you shift into N right?

DrivewayAlDrivewayAl
          Participant

Thanks, haven’t considered a broken mount. Weather is rain tommorow. I will give it a shot on friday and let you know what i find. If it is a busted mount wouldnt the steering shake also in reverse? I dont think it shakes much in neutral. Do you remember which one of the Stratus mounts was busted. This way I can look for that one first. I’m wondering whether it could be the mount in the back of the engine, if there is one by the steering rack. Thanks again, never thought about looking there.

Driveway Al

pcmdjasonpcmdjason
            Participant

When I shifted into reverse, the transmission pushed up into the mount when I shifted into D it pulled away. I don’t recall very well but I think it was near the seam where the transmission connects to the engine closer to the front.

pcmdjasonpcmdjason
              Participant

Hey I found my old post from several years ago:

I recently purchased a used 1995 Stratus ( 146,000 miles )the guy that
                sold it to me said the idle was erratic (anywhere from 1000 to 2500
                rpm). It got better after replacing the TPS and checking vacuum lines.
                But the main problem I’m having is severe vibration when the vehicle
                is in Drive. In neutral or reverse, it is smooth as silk, but when I
                shift into Drive, the vehicle sometimes vibrates so badly that the
                rear-view mirror is blurry and accelerating sounds almost like there
                is no muffler the noise is so loud.

I also noticed that if I come to a complete stop and shift into Park
                it gets better but if I let off the brakes and roll forward it starts
                the whole vibration thing as the vehicle rolls forward but goes away
                as the vehicle rocks backwards. I’m really stumped on this one.

I was suspecting a torque converter problem, but when I started
                noticing the issue in Park I wasn’t so sure. Also if the torque
                converter was shot, why would it run so smoothly in Reverse? I can
                give it all the gas I want in reverse and the car is pretty much
                silent, but any forward gear vibrates like crazy.

The only way I can explain the sensation is if you go to a top-fuel
                drag race and the feeling you get on your face as the dragsters go by.

Also sometimes if I stop and shift it into Neutral at a light or stop
                sign and then shift into Drive, I accelerate forward maybe about 10
                feet and then hear a loud clunk and the vehicle jumps forward.

Ideas? Suggestions? This car was very inexpensive, so the fact that
                it rolls forward and the A/C works means it was worth what I spent,
                but I’d like to figure this issue out so I could have a little more
                piece of mind.

Thanks!

The reply was…

You have a motor mount that is bad. The isolator is worn and causing metal
                on metal.

Glenn
                Chrysler Tech

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

I’m also with checking the motor mounts, have someone shift it from drive to reverse while you observe the engine to see if it moves excessivly. You might also be able to just put your eyes on the mounts and find a bad one. If you don’t find anything here you might consider doing a compression test or power balance to see if it’s an engine performance issue.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…