Menu

97 gmc dieing out

• Creator
    Topic
    paintergirl1paintergirl1
    Participant

a few days ago m y 97 gmc sierra 2-wheel drive 5.7engine started dying out right in the middle of driving,after 2or3 hrs of sitting,it started right up the 3rd. time it just kept turning over but would not start,could it be my fuel injectors? What would make it do this,and how do i fix it.Thank-u very much.Forgot to mention i have a vortex engine. NO chk. engine light comes on,OBD meter doesn’t pick up anything someone says it could be the crankshaft sensor??? I am not losing fuel or spark

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      crg616crg616
      Participant

do you have a check engine light on?

paintergirl1paintergirl1
        Participant

Quoted From paintergirl1:

a few days ago m y 97 gmc sierra 2-wheel drive 5.7engine started dying out right in the middle of driving,after 2or3 hrs of sitting,it started right up the 3rd. time it just kept turning over but would not start,could it be my fuel injectors? What would make it do this,and how do i fix it.Thank-u very much.Forgot to mention i have a vortex engine.

No chk.engine light OBD metor doesn’t pick up anything,could it be the crankshaft sensor?

johnzcarzjohnzcarz
          Participant

No chk.engine light OBD metor doesn’t pick up anything,could it be the crankshaft sensor?

That’s a possibility. If you suspect that then wait for it to die and spray it with a freeze spray and see what happens. If it starts right up then you were right. If not then that’s probably not your problem.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
            Participant

Watch the video Eric posted on no start basics. If you do not have spark nor any injector pulse width, then you can possibly look at your crank sensor.

college mancollege man

Your losing fuel or spark. need to figure out which one is missing. You need to start with some basics. check fuel pressure
                and replace fuel filter if you have one. check ignition system for wear. check the battery terminals are clean and tight.C8-)

John B KobberstadJohn B Kobberstad
                Participant

a few days ago m y 97 gmc sierra 2-wheel drive 5.7engine started dying out right in the middle of driving,after 2or3 hrs of sitting,it started right up the 3rd. time it just kept turning over but would not start,could it be my fuel injectors? What would make it do this,and how do i fix it.Thank-u very much.Forgot to mention i have a vortex engine.

I don’t know if you do some of the work on your Sierra yourself or not, presume you do though. I would invest in a fuel pressure gauge. I use one that I got from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-injec … 92699.html You may need it again sometime I would guess and it may prevent you from making a fuel pump module purchase which you did not need to. Fuel is one of the first things to check for this problem. Are you getting it to the injector rail, throttle body or carb. Another tool you may want to invest in as a spark checker http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002S … PDKIKX0DER I have both these tools and for this small investment they were well worth the money and will help your troubleshooting progress much faster to the final solution (not to mention not having to go out and make purchases of items that didn’t fix the problem but wasted your money buying before you checked for the basics Fuel and Spark). There are other similar tools out there for this, these are just what I own and I am NOT a professional mechanic so I stay away from the more expensive ones that the pros use daily because my use is only occasionally.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                  Keymaster

With a no start you need to figure out what’s missing during the no start condition, I cover the basics in this video which might help you.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBUYs539cy4

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…