Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 98 Accord cranks won’t start. I bought 2 days ago hubby’s ma

98 Accord cranks won’t start. I bought 2 days ago hubby’s ma

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 98 Accord cranks won’t start. I bought 2 days ago hubby’s ma

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I took it to work no problems starting or driving.
      I came home had to park in

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Tri9SSTri9SS
      Participant

you need three things for it to run, Spark, fuel, and air. See if you can narrow which on you don’t have then let us know. Also was there anything you noticed when you did drive, wanting to stall, hesitation when accelerating, bad shake in idle, etc. this will help us narrow it down, one other thing , relax.

PhysioexPhysioex
        Participant

When a car cranks and won’t start there are three things you should check: air, fuel, and spark. Is air getting to the engine? Could be the idle air controller. Is it fuel? Could be several things check fuel pressure, check injectors (noid light). Could it be spark? Use a spark ignition tester you can buy it relatively cheap. This is just to get you started but will the process will involve some detective work. Good Luck!!

619DioFan619DioFan
          Participant

Do you have a check engine light on ? if so you need to pull the code. if the cel is not on then try this… pull the distributor cap and crank the engine while someone watches just to make sure the rotor is still turning. after that check for fuel pressure and ignition spark as previously mentioned. I mention checking the rotor turning because it sounds like you stalled while reversing and if the car lurched suddenly there is a chance the t/belt could have been damaged. even if it didnt break if the t/belt lost some teeth and skipped it could throw the timing off enough so the engine will not start. keep us posted here.

Third GearThird Gear
            Participant

I agree with DioFan, it wouldn’t hurt to take off the top timing belt cover and rotate the engine by hand to see if the engine timing is correct and to make sure the belt didn’t break. A friend’s civic once broke the timing belt in the driveway – lucky for him because there was no valve damage.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

I’m with finding out what is missing as you crank, spark, fuel, or an engine mechanical issue. If you don’t have fuel, check the main relay and watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viIZ8k60awY

If you don’t have spark watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K78XIhhjAQ

If you have both of those pull one of the plugs, if it’s wet it’s probably flooded, pull the rest of the plugs and let the fuel evaporate for a while and then put them back in but when you try and start it hold your foot to the floor on the gas, this will put the engine into clear flood mode and not put fuel to the engine so you can ‘clear the flood’

If the plugs aren’t wet you might pull the distributor cap off and turn the engine over, if you don’t see the rotor move then you probably broke the timing belt, if that’s the case then I have yet another video for you

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/tools.aspx

Good luck

ToxicToxic
                Participant

I would also recommend looking at your timing belt and seeing if it’s loose and such of the nature, I have a 1989 Honda accord that was doing the same. Seems that we found that to be the problem on mine.

SorcererSorcerer
                  Participant

I’ve experienced the main relay on 3 older honda’s I look after, be sure you can hear that fuel pump run when you have the key in the run position…

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…