Menu

98 CR-V throttle response issues

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 98 CR-V throttle response issues

• Creator
    Topic
    BrandonBrandon
    Participant

Hello all, new to the forums here. I’ve tried scouring the internet for the problem im experiencing with a 98 CR-V i got for free with no real luck in finding a definitive answer for the issue.

Its 250,000+ miles and looks to be fairly well taken care of. Upon driving it, Im finding while in fourth gear, around 55-60 mph that the pedal becomes pretty much unresponsive unless i press the pedal down a pretty significant amount (theres a amount of play in the pedal before it responds). Only then does it try to catch up to how much i have the pedal pressed down and it launches the rpm from being stuck around 2500 to 4000. I’ve replaced the spark plugs with NGK brand and slapped on new spark wires due to a misfire when it was wet outside. The misfire has stopped but the loss of throttle response still persists. The distributor looks very new. I’ve wanted to try gapping the valves as I’ve read it could be a cause, though, i dont have much experience with that. With winter coming and having no garage I feel it might be best left until i have a good couple of dry, warmer days in the spring to do that. It runs and idles fine to my untrained ear. All cylinders are firing. Any help would be fantastic!

Incase i forgot any info on the car its a 1998 Honda CR-V LX AWD. 250000+ miles.

Also, it seems to go through oil pretty fast. If someone could give a check list of known/common oil leak issues, i would love to go through and check them sometime. I have replaced the cam-shaft plug on it as that was leaking when i got it, no more leaks from that. When switching the spark plugs, i didnt see any evidence of it burning oil on the old plugs. There seems to be a pretty good amount of oil on the bottom of the engine, so the leak seems to be external.

Thank you to all who respond in advance!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BrandonBrandon
      Participant

I should also say its an automatic transmission

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
        Participant

Since you say there appears to be play in the throttle pedal.
          I would check to see how badly stretched the throttle cable is and see if can be adjusted or requires to be replaced.
          Or if there is an issue with the linkages on the throttle.
          As to the loss of oil..
          Suggest you first clean the motor with a degreaser to remove as much gunk as possible.
          Then add engine oil UV dye and drive around a bit.
          Using a UV light you should be able to locate the source(s) of your oil leak.

BrandonBrandon
          Participant

Thanks for the suggestions! Im unsure if the throttle cable would be the issue as the low-response/ play in the pedal only happens in fourth gear. 1st-3rd gear, the pedal responds just fine. As soon as it enters 4th gear the low response happens and thats when the play pedal kicks in. I thought that UV dye was only made for leaks in A/C systems, ill absolutely look into it though! It could totally help me fine leaks in my other vehicles too lol

MikeMike
            Participant

Is fourth an “overdrive” gear? If it is, you won’t get much throttle response until the transmission downshifts into 3rd.

Perhaps there’s an issue with the transmission, causing slow downshifts out of that gear. It’s got over 1/4 million miles on it after all is said and done.

I’m not a Honda or transmission expert, so maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can pick up on this.

BrandonBrandon
              Participant

Im unsure if 4th gear is overdrive. The shifter has all the gears listed as D1-D4. I would just drive it in 3rd gear however the history of the car is unknown to me and Ive read that if the valves are tight, higher rpms will burn them quicker and i would like to avoid that if i could. Im extremely curious if the cat converter could be plugged (even slightly) and causing this issue. Is there anyway for me to test if the cat is clogged without taking it off? Again, i dont have a garage, its been cold and wet outside for the past month so i would really like to not have to jack it up and get underneath to try to pull it without even knowing if im capable of doing so. There is airflow through the muffler so if the cat is clogged, its only partially.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…