Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 98 dodge grand caravan Transmission swap porblems.

98 dodge grand caravan Transmission swap porblems.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 98 dodge grand caravan Transmission swap porblems.

• Creator
    Topic
    Conner SecondinoConner Secondino
    Participant

I have a 98 dodge grand caravan 3.3L V6 FWD and the transmission went out on it a couple months ago. i finally got around to getting one from a junk yard but it was off a 3.8L V6 I didnt think much of it because everywhere i went on the internet it said they were the same transmission. so i thought it wouldn’t matter. well i got the thing together today with the right amount of transmission fluid (9 quarts) anyways. I went to put it in gear and at first it went into gear and moved 2 feet D I shut it off and didn’t drive it any farther due to the oil having got water in it from the snow and rain. so it needs to be changed but that has nothing to do with the Tranny. so here is the thing. I got over my fear of the oil and said i could drive it A BLOCK to test it but no farther with the oil like that and wouldn’t you know it it didn’t go into gear ( so now the gear position indicator lights are on for all of the positions just like when it starts up except they dont go away. another odd thing is the speedometer is showing 100+ MPH and the Revs are reading high for Idle at around 1500 rpm instead of its normal 500. I have only seen it do that when there is no load on the drive train like when its on jack stands but in drive. all of the electrical connectors are hooked up to the right connector. I know they are because they wont plug in any other way. I cant say weather the connectors themselves are good or not but assuming they are what do you think the problem could be? if you want to see what i am talking about here is the link to a video i upload so people could help me. I originally made it for an automotive group im in on facebook so it may seem a little indirrect but it has all the information you would need. sorry about the crappy audio job i put my finger over the mic in it 🙁 but you hear everything thats important. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0ydgGSBdwE&feature=youtu.be

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jim DavisJim Davis
      Participant

I hope its not too late, but go to http://www.rockauto.com/ Look up your van, look up trans assembly for the 3.3 and 3.8, there is a difference for build dates on the tag on the trans, it must have to do with programming Im am guessing. What do do with that information will have to figure out. Next is if there is water mixed in with the trans fluid, DO NOT run it another second. You are only going to do damage.

Participant

it wasnt the transmission fluid that had water. it was the oil in the engine that had water. i know to be careful with it and that why i didnt go any farther than 2 feet when it first ran and went back inside for a it. the tranny fluid is new as you can see by all of the bottles on the ground.

Participant

also i discovered a thing called “limp mode” to get the tranny locked in 2nd gear regardless of electronic problems. its kicked on by removing the solenoid pack electrical connector. im going to try this in the morning just to check the tranny to make sure it all works-ish. and i was told by another car repair you tuber “chrisfix” that he thinks it might be the TCM getting incorrect readings sense its for a different model and that i should be able to just swap it out with no problems and have a running transmission. it will think its attached to a 3.8 but it will be on my 3.3

Jim DavisJim Davis
            Participant

I should have caught that, just my eyesight and reading too fast and I completely mistook it as water in trans “oil”. Guess I should re read before posting. As you can see I use rock auto to compare prices and parts a lot, and the TCU is the same part number for the 3.8 and 3.3 engine. Where the trans of the same year?

Participant

yes. granted the transmission is from a junk yard and i cant speak of the donor cars history but to my knowledge its from another 98

Jim DavisJim Davis
                Participant

A bad vehicle speed sensor will give you the problems you are seeing, shift indicator lights and speedometer, but it usually goes into limp mode, second gear. You might try swapping out your old one from the other trans to the new one.

Rich SoutherlandRich Southerland
                  Participant

[quote=”HeavyJ” post=127184]A bad vehicle speed sensor will give you the problems you are seeing, shift indicator lights and speedometer, but it usually goes into limp mode, second gear. You might try swapping out your old one from the other trans to the new one.[/quote]

Agreed.

Participant

i would but my old tranny got jacked during the downtime period of a few months. the explodded tranny, the 2 front wheels, the starter battery, and an axle stub. so i had to get all of those parts for it

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…