Menu

98 honda accord distributor

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 98 honda accord distributor

• Creator
    Topic
    Heather HudsonHeather Hudson
    Participant

well, I have a manual 98 honda accord lx 4 cylinder…….The heater core hose that attaches underneath the distributor had a leak in it so I watched a video to figure out how to replace said hose. The video told me to remove the distributor to gain access to the hose however it didnt explain how important it was to be careful doing this. Now that I have replaced the hose and put everything back, it wont start. It tries but cant completely turn over. I have checked that the battery is okay and charged, tried to quick jump the car and all my wires are plugged in to distributor cap correctly.

does this mean that i have messed up the timing some how? is there a way to fix it without a timing gun?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      hondaguy453hondaguy453
      Participant

When you removed the distributor, did you remove the spark plug wires from the distributor or the spark plugs?

Billy AndrewsBilly
        Participant

I’m assuming that by “be careful”, you mean mark the dizzy’s position with a sharpie, etc. so you can put it back exactly where it was. If you didn’t do that, then yes, you will need a timing light to get the timing right, but that’s once you have the car started. To get the dizzy close enough to the correct position to start, read the FSM or Haynes, or google a bunch of close-up pics. If I understand hondaguy453’s reply correctly, he’s getting to the point that you need to make sure you wire each distributor terminal to the correct spark plug. This is easier if you left the wires connected to the distributor, because the wire lengths will tell you which spark plugs they go to.
          P.S. don’t worry, timing guns are like $20.

Participant

no i didnt remove wires or plugs

Participant

I finally got it to start after I jumped it from another car. Now I just need to understand a bit more on how to adjust the timing just so. Ive watched EricTheCarGuy’s video on timing for the Acura Integra but im still a little unsure of what im doing.

1. No sticker under my hood says anything about the timing
              2. What wire am I suppose to short out under my dash?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…