Menu

98 Honda prelude alternator belt

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 98 Honda prelude alternator belt

• Creator
    Topic
    dave harvandave harvan
    Participant

I can’t get the new belt back on. I replaced the power steering hose that was leaking on the belts. The hose only took me 4 hours, this is the second day of trying to mount the alternator belt. I left it stretched over wood blocks and wedges overnight, no luck. totally loosened alt bolts and adjustment , have a socket on crankshaft to turn engine , can’t get it on pulley. Am I a f..king idiot?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

One of 2 possibilities:
        1 The incorrect sized belt was installed at some point in time.
        2 The alternator is not at its lowest adjustment to allow the belt to be installed.

dave harvandave harvan
        Participant

Thanks, I ordered the belt from rock auto and the old belt has the same markings. The alternator is hitting the engine on its bottom swing,. I removed top bolt entirely ,didn’t help. I’m working outside in Arizona and have belt stretching again, I don’t doubt that it is the wrong belt. The power steering hose was not quite correct either, possibly cross referenced from an accord, preludes are getting scarcer. But someone got it on last time the car only has 110000

Participant

The issue with having a belt that tight is that you will cause damage to the alternator bearing(s)
            Might I suggest you string measure what should be the correct sized alternator belt along with the type of ribbing is needed for the pulley and search around for a better fitting belt.

todd manntodd mann
            Participant

Do you need a special tool?

Participant

Just a length of twine and knowing what type of belt IE. V type, Ribbed (how many)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…