Menu

98 Integra LS Speedo Cal

• Creator
    Topic

When I bought my project Integra LS, it came with good tires on the stock alloy 14″ wheels which I have no desire to replace right away. However the PO put 185/65R14s on it instead of the called for on the door jam sticker 185/60R14s for whatever reason. This taller aspect ratio tire is throwing my speedo off right at 3 mph which also runs the miles up a little faster. Speedo at 80 mph car actually only going roughly 77 mph. This verified by my Garmin GPS. This is also true at slower speeds across the board.

Is there an easy way to re-calibrate the speedo (VSS?), playing with it till it is reading correctly? Then if I decide to upgrade my wheels to 15 or 16s in the future, calibrate the speedo to read correctly with whatever tires I end up with?

Thanks!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    college mancollege man

There is no calibration for this unless you have something that can get deep into the programing.
      3mph is not that bad. It will get worse with bigger tires. Hate to be the bearer of bad news.

Billy AndrewsBilly
      Participant

Most cars actually read about 5% higher than reality with stock tires. BMW/Mini read 10% higher than reality. This is intentional.
        So as CM said, reading 2-3% lower than reality is trivial.
        As your 65s wear, the accuracy will improve slightly. Then of course when they’re done you can replace them with 60s.

For the sake of conversation, the worst car I’ve ever owned for this was my 05 Impala. It would throw 1 tenth of a mile more on the clock every 5 actual miles traveled. Imagine how many more miles added over the life of the car at 200K. Do the math on that. I think they do this to run the warranty out faster. I’m not sure how to figure that. My head hurts!

Billy AndrewsBilly
        Participant

[quote=”UTBMXCruiser” post=204159]For the sake of conversation, the worst car I’ve ever owned for this was my 05 Impala. It would throw 1 tenth of a mile more on the clock every 5 actual miles traveled. Imagine how many more miles added over the life of the car at 200K. Do the math on that. I think they do this to run the warranty out faster. I’m not sure how to figure that. My head hurts![/quote]

That’s only 2%.
          FWIW, manufacturers who deliberately over-report the speed to the driver do not typically inflate the odometer as well.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…