Menu

98 Jimmy 4×4 Fuse keeps blowing

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 98 Jimmy 4×4 Fuse keeps blowing

• Creator
    Topic
    ShawnShawn
    Participant

I’ve got a 1998 GMC Jimmy SLE 4×4 4dr and the 4×4 10 amp fuse keeps blowing. The other symptoms: Fule gauge reads empty and the battery light is on.

After doing some research I found that by disengaging the vacuum line on the actuator under the battery plate the fuse will stop blowing. I can confirm that this works, however, I’m not sure what to do next. Some say change the vacuum switch on the T-Case and other’s say trace the electrical lines to verify that there is not a frayed wire grounding out.

Could the vacuum switch cause 4wd to engage, thus overloading the control motor and blowing the 4wd fuse?

Just looking for ideas here before replacing $35 to $150 switches. I would love to get some help from the professionals here so any directions will be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MARK FELDSTEINMARK FELDSTEIN
      Participant

I’d definitely look at the wiring that goes to the transfer case AND and test the switch. The problem with just replacing a switch without any testing or wire tracing means that if the switch is good and there’s a cabling problem, you’re basically stuck with a spare switch cause parts stores hate taking back electrical parts, and meantime, you still have the problem.

See if you can get a wiring diagram too. These kinds of things, while they look complicated, are really useful. Even if you don’t know quite how to read them, many of them are self explanatory.

They’re available from lots of sources on the net, if you have a VOM/VTM meter, which is easy to use, and or a simple 12v/dc current probe, you should be in good shape to really isolate this problem. There’s also a cheap electrical detector that puts a trace on the circuit and helps you find faults. Available at many parts stores or even some hardware stores. Let us know how you’re doing.

Eric has done some great videos on electrical fault isolation and troubleshooting with and without circuit diagrams. Here’s a couple you might find useful.
        https://www.ericthecarguy.com/videos/7-videos/4-electrical-videos?videoid=wLVu2HYtOhA

Here’s one on reading circuit diagrams:
        https://www.ericthecarguy.com/videos/7-videos/4-electrical-videos?videoid=GVSvA0y-peA

And one on troubleshooting relays which you can apply to switches.
        https://www.ericthecarguy.com/videos/7-videos/4-electrical-videos?videoid=DWmt6gorzUg

Take it light ;>)
        Sparks

college mancollege man

I would unplug the motor/actuator on the transfer case.
          replace the fuse and see if it blows. if not motor is shorted.
          If it does blow with motor unplugged. wiring issue.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…