Menu

99 Accord V6 Persistent EGR Issue

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 99 Accord V6 Persistent EGR Issue

• Creator
    Topic
    RannRann
    Participant

I have a 99 Honda Accord V6 with just over 200k. I bought the car about a year ago and it had the EGR code at that time. It had the recall procedure done and I knew this was a known problem and didn’t do much about it. The car ran really well.

A few months ago it began to hesitate while accelerating. It was every once in awhile at first and then got worse. I accelerate and te car hesitates, the RPMs drop all the way down, it bogs down, the lights dim, it almost dies but the surges back. It does it so much now the car is undrivable. It doesn’t seem to happen until the car warms up a little bit.

I replaced the EGR Valve, and cleaned the ports. It’s my understanding that I should be able to spray cleaner in the top port at the manifold and have it come down the port at the valve. This wasn’t the case at first but after thorough cleaning it would go through but slowly. It still seems like it’s clogged and it didn’t help at all. Now I’m thinking I need to get to the inside of that passage and clean that but I’m not sure how to get to it and I haven’t been able to find a how to or video.

I’m not sure if that’s what I need to do but I can’t think of anything else. I’ve used these forums and ETCG videos since this started but I”m lost. What do you think? Should I clean that passage or does this seem like something else? If I should clean that passage how exactly do I get to it?

Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      RannRann
      Participant

how would you go about checking for an air leak? After reassembling everything I sprayed carb cleaner on the manifold, throttle body, and vacuum lines but nothing happened. I assume that means it has no leaks.. I saw another post on an accord forum that showed the EGR passege taken off the block but didn’t have a write up showing how. It seems like that would be the best way to know for sure I got the passege clean. If that doesn’t work it might very well be that I’m overlooking a simple leak or even the ECM.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

What I saw in the video is not likely to have anything to do with the EGR. I think it’s more likely you have a bad IAC. Before you go there, check for vacuum leaks. Since you recently had the intake off this is a good possibility. If you don’t find any, I’d replace the IAC and recheck for the problem. BTW they’re easier to remove if you remove the throttle body.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-idle-problems

Good luck and keep us posted.

RannRann
          Participant

I checked for vacum leaks using carb cleaner like in your video and didn’t find anything. Just to clarify, this isn’t an idle problem. The car idles just fine, the only time this happens is when It’s accelerating. I’m under the impression that the IAC only operates when the car is at idle. I just what to make sure that I’m addressing the correct problem before I throw parts at it.

Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…