Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 99 Honda civic hormonic balance pulley bolt size

99 Honda civic hormonic balance pulley bolt size

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Automotive Discussion 99 Honda civic hormonic balance pulley bolt size

• Creator
    Topic
    Sang Kimskim3544
    Participant

Anyone know the size of this bolt?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      619DioFan619DioFan
      Participant

Yes , 19mm. what torque was it set to ? was a torque wrench used ?

Sang Kimskim3544
        Participant

Here is what happened. 2 year ago I replaced the timing belt on 1999 Honda Civic SI – torqued down the crank pulley bolt using a torque wrench (I was following the Helm factory manual so I think it was around 140 ft/lb) As I was doing it, I was skeptical. It was PITA to take out – it felt like the bolt was torqued down to about 300 ft/lb when I took it out – 140 ft/lb sounds way off. But I decided to follow the manual anyway.

Yesterday, my car started to make noise. I pulled over and opened the hood, I found P/S belt thrown out from the position (completely out and was hanging on the P/S pump) and the harmonic balance shaking with the two belts. So I stopped the engine and start investigating. What I saw was the crank bolt out about 1/4 inch out (I was able to turn this with my finger) and harmonic balance pulley had play (even if I push it all the way in to the engine block) I was able to barrow some tools and fix the bolt. While driving back, I ran into the same problem – time time check engine light is on (Pulled the code, all 4 cylinders were misfiring) So I pulled over and looked at it again. The bolt was tight enough (could not move it without tools) but the harmonic balance pulley was moving side to side. So I think that little crank pulley key is destroyed.

I don’t know what is going on until I pulled the pulley out. But I think the bolt got lose (due to too much of belt tension and weight on the pulley) over time and work itself lose. Eventually it started coming out. It came out enough to the point that the little pulley key also came out (or damaged)

619DioFan619DioFan
          Participant

Once apart check the bolt threads for any damage. if they look stripped replace the bolt ( 140-150 foot pounds is the right torque ) make sure the lower pulley isn’t damaged. if it looks bent or the slot for the key is worn replace it. you may want to use a little medium strength loctite when you reassemble. keep us posted once you remove the parts. also- fyi- it is best to post repair related questions in the service and repair area of the forum as most of the members look there first ( including Eric )

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…