Menu

99 Impreza won’t start

• Creator
    Topic
    subiescoobysubiescooby
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

My 99 impreza

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dreamer2355dreamer2355
      Participant

Do you have a flashing anti-theft warning light?

If not, that definately be checking all your battery connections as stated.

Do you have a DVOM to check battery voltage?

Here is also another one of Eric’s videos, this time for a parasitic load drain –

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj0 … nlrcdfzR30

MattMatt
        Participant

I watched the video. It looks like there is a serious battery drain when you go to turn the key to start. You could make sure the battery is at full charge, then give the starter a few taps with a soft hammer. Then try and start it. If nothing happens, grab a test light. Put the clip on a ground and hold the tester end to where the battery cable meets the solenoid. Have someone turn the key over. The test light should light. This is to verify that you are getting at least some power to the starter. You could do a voltage drop test on the battery cable, and pull/clean all the connections at the battery and especially the grounds. If it doesn’t do anything after that, and you are having some sort of anti-theft issues, then you may have a whole nother bag of problems.

Eric’s starter diagnosis vid, including voltage drop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKjdnQ0sHQc

subiescoobysubiescooby
          Participant

Ok, I left the car on the tender overnight like I mentioned and I was able to get a single crank and it started right up. I tried to restart right away and it wouldn’t. So, I’m somewhat relieved.

I’ll watch those videos you posted.

Something seems to be draining the battery. This battery is just a couple of weeks old.

I’m going to buy a multi meter.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
            Participant

I would still have the battery load tested to make sure that its not an issue.

It would be interesting to see the voltage readings of the charging system when the vehicle is running.

Here is some more of Eric’s video’s.

This one is Alternator diagnostics –

http://www.youtube.com/user/EricTheCarG … TGz0PKIl84

And charging system basics –

http://www.youtube.com/user/EricTheCarG … uumBVz6WOM

johnzcarzjohnzcarz
              Participant

I think a load test on the battery and checking current draw when the car is off will point you in the right direction to figure this out. Dreamer gave all the links above. If this is one of those keyless entry cars that senses the fob, put it in another room or the car may be turning on all sorts of things when you are near it doing the parasitic load test.

subiescoobysubiescooby
                Participant

So embarrassed..it was corrosion on the positive lead. I didn’t check it when it should have been the first thing..

Oh well, live and learn..

At least now i know how to perform all these tests and remove and install a starter!

MattMatt
                  Participant

Overall, you win 🙂

MattMatt
                    Participant

Oh yeh, before dreamer beats me to it, you should mark the stoplight green, so folks will be able to search and find your post quickly to answer similar problems.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                      Participant

Thanks for posting the fix!

And +1 on Beefy’s post!

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                        Keymaster

Yes thanks for posting the fix and as you mentioned anytime you have an issue like that check the cables and connections at the battery you’d be surprised at how often that causes a problem. Thanks for using the ETCG forum.

subiescoobysubiescooby
                          Participant

Yeah, I just marked the thread as green. Another thanks to all of you, this relieved allot of grief and anxiety on my part. I’m glad this forum is around, I’m sure it will grow as there is a good community here.

Eric, I’ve watched a few of your videos and I wish you much success in this endeavor, I’m sure you will be successful. Keep it up!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…