Menu

99 Mustang GT 4.6L Overhaul

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Automotive Discussion 99 Mustang GT 4.6L Overhaul

• Creator
    Topic
    FernyGTFernyGT
    Participant

Hi my name is Fernando, my dad and i just rebuild a mustang gt 4.6 engine but i am having this problem. when rebuilding we

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dreamer2355dreamer2355
      Participant

What exactly did the rebuild entail? Did you take it to a machine shop? Did you bore the cylinders?

And why did you do the rebuild?

And welcome to the forums.

MattMatt
        Participant

I’m guessing you meant bearing clearance on the rods and mains. How did you test it? Plastigage? Here is Eric’s video on oil pressure, which might enlighten you a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f2fcbTh5yw

I don’t know the specs, but that seems a little tight to me just off the top of my head.

Also, when you say ‘presion’, is that oil pressure? I’m guessing it is because an engine wouldn’t run on 20 psi compression… As dreamer suggested, more info would be helpful. And to be honest, this thread should probably be moved to the ‘service and repair questions’ section, as it will get alot more coverage.

MattMatt
          Participant

After looking for a little info, that almost seems loose (.015-.020″). If that were the case, that could explain knocking and low oil pressure. If you have the specs handy, that would be awesome.

FernyGTFernyGT
            Participant

Quoted From dreamer2355:

What exactly did the rebuild entail? Did you take it to a machine shop? Did you bore the cylinders?

And why did you do the rebuild?

And welcome to the forums.

I took it to a macin shop and left rod and main in 20’s and rings are in std.

FernyGTFernyGT
              Participant

Quoted From Beefy:

I’m guessing you meant bearing clearance on the rods and mains. How did you test it? Plastigage? Here is Eric’s video on oil pressure, which might enlighten you a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f2fcbTh5yw

I don’t know the specs, but that seems a little tight to me just off the top of my head.

Also, when you say ‘presion’, is that oil pressure? I’m guessing it is because an engine wouldn’t run on 20 psi compression… As dreamer suggested, more info would be helpful. And to be honest, this thread should probably be moved to the ‘service and repair questions’ section, as it will get alot more coverage.

I cheked clearence with plastigage and a mechaninc told me that the clearence that was given was a tolerable measure, not so tight and not so loose. And yes that is oil pressure that is droping, it starts at 50 psi and almost drops to 15 to 20 psi

FernyGTFernyGT
                Participant

Quoted From Beefy:

After looking for a little info, that almost seems loose (.015-.020″). If that were the case, that could explain knocking and low oil pressure. If you have the specs handy, that would be awesome.

Where can i get the specs, i cheked the torque specs and i was in that range, but i dont know what is the tolerable clearence that i need to have in rods and mains

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…