Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • ’99 Toyota Rav4 water in passenger footwell

’99 Toyota Rav4 water in passenger footwell

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here ’99 Toyota Rav4 water in passenger footwell

• Creator
    Topic
    MattMatt
    Participant

Yo guys.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
      Participant

Are you sure it’s not leaking around the windshield?
        I’ve seen wet floors all the time from a bad seal around the windshield.

johnzcarzjohnzcarz
        Participant

How about a plugged A/C evaporator drain? I would expect this more in the summer with humid weather, but it’s a possibility.

MattMatt
          Participant

I’ve been reading every forum I can find on this. Many have mentioned a possible leak under the cowl cover, which I will be pulling off tomorrow. I found a plug under the carpet today and pulled it which released all the water that has been collecting underneath, almost two inches. It rained all night while I was at work, and I just got home and went and checked, and there isn’t any obvious spot where it’s been leaking again. I left the ‘drain’ plug out, so now I’m almost wondering if I did fix it with the weatherstripping on the door, and I just hadn’t had the time to pull the carpet to properly get rid of the water.. We’ll see tomorrow. Man do I hate interior work… I need to find the drain for the evaporator, but this has given me soooo much water in such short periods of time that I have a hard time believing it could cause it, but I will be looking at everything if I can’t find anything. I’ll keep ya posted, and if I figure it out, I’ll drag all these guys over from the Toyota forums.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
            Participant

The RTV should work if you got in on real good on the leaky spot.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
              Participant

Is it still staying dry inside?

MattMatt
                Participant

Nope. I have it narrowed down to the lower passenger corner of the windshield area. I pulled the cowl cover off and used a hose. I used some clear silicone RTV and covered all the suspicious holes, as well as that corner of the windshield. The dripping seems to be coming out of the bottom of the airbox around the blower motor fan, which is oddly mounted facing up from the bottom. I ran out of time to pull the blower motor out and see what was going on in there, but that’ll be my next step, unless the RTV fixed my problems, which I kinda doubt.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                  Keymaster

Quoted From johnzcarz:

How about a plugged A/C evaporator drain? I would expect this more in the summer with humid weather, but it’s a possibility.

First thing I thought of too and since it’s unseasonably warm here in Ohio this winter this could be the cause. Know that even if you have the heat on if you run the defrost the AC will kick on and with the humid air from all the rain it is possible to build up a considerable amount of condensate in the HVAC and considering how simple it is to address you might as well give it a shot, here is a video that I did on the topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfXyo7a2F9A

MattMatt
                    Participant

Quoted From EricTheCarGuy:

First thing I thought of too and since it’s unseasonably warm here in Ohio this winter this could be the cause. Know that even if you have the heat on if you run the defrost the AC will kick on and with the humid air from all the rain it is possible to build up a considerable amount of condensate in the HVAC and considering how simple it is to address you might as well give it a shot, here is a video that I did on the topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfXyo7a2F9A

Yeh, I thought of that. Problem is, this happens with the car just sitting. I don’t drive it much, and it still gains an inch or more of water in a good rain, like the one we’re having right now for instance. I still crawled around looking for the drain, and I can’t find it right now. If anyone has service info on the location of the hose, please lemme know. I looked at the free Chilton’s someone posted, and couldn’t find a picture. This car is pissing me off..

Edit: I found the evap drain tube. Clean as a whistle, only a drop of water in it while the floor looks like Loch Ness… Also, the RTV didn’t fix my problem, guess I’m pulling the dash when I get time (never)…………

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                      Keymaster

It was worth checking anyway now you know you can take it off the list of possible causes. Now that we know that have you had a windshield put in recently? If so perhaps it wasn’t sealed properly and causing the leak, I’ve seen that quite a few times myself, I’ve also seen where the sealant allowed water to pool under the glass causing it to rust through. The best way to find water leaks that I know of is to remove all the carpet and panels away from the suspected area and continuously run water over the suspected area as you watch for the source of the leak inside the vehicle. At the dealer we had a special ‘shower’ set up for this, it was just some pipe welded to a steal rim for a base with a shower head at the top, you could point it on the suspected area and run it all day long if you wanted. You can also tape the hose in place to run continuously on the suspected area as well.

MattMatt
                        Participant

I think I figured this one out. As suggested by Eric, I put a hose on the windshield pointing at the suspected area. I initially found a couple drilled holes and a gap in the windshield sealant. I used silicone adhesive and covered the crap out of those areas. I think when I removed the cowl and reinstalled it, I caused another leak. The little cheapy plastic anchors that the screws seat into to hold the cowl cover on came loose at a couple spots. I had the blower motor pulled out of the bottom of the airbox, and cool see all the way up to the cowl from the inside. I saw the water pouring in around that anchor thinger. Siliconed the crap out of it too, and the loose one on the other side, because water was leaking in the driver’s side as well now. Put everything back together, and I retested with a hose. I pray that this is the end of it, because I put the interior all back together, and I don’t know when we’ll have another 50 degree rainless day in Ohio before spring. Thanks for the tips all.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                          Participant

Awesome job. Keep us posted.

And don’t forget to change the traffic to green if the issue is resolved W;)

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…