Menu

A/C compressor problem

• Creator
    Topic
    ElfyElfy
    Participant

I’m having a hard time figuring out what could be wrong with the compressor. It spins and it looks like it gets stuck and then spins and again stops.. it does it all the time. Do i need to get a new one?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BigCBigC
      Participant

Hi Elfy,

When the AC is running, is the compressor cycling “on” and “off” frequently? In other words, is the clutch on the compressor engaging and then disengaging frequently? If this is the case, where the compressor is turning on and off in a short amount of time (a couple seconds), usually the ac system is low on refrigerant. However, a set of AC gauges would be in order to properly verify the static pressure of the system, as well as the low and high side pressures of the AC system when in operation. Keep us posted.

heffy11heffy11
        Participant

I’m a little late to this question, but here we go anyway. I had a 95 Honda Accord and then a 2000 Jeep Wrangler that both had this symptom. Repair shop told me I needed a new compressor each time. These compressors have electro-magnetic clutches and the gap had become too wide for the magnetic field to operate consistently. You can remove the compressor (I was able to do this without disconnecting any lines) and remove a shim. Check a shop manual for your vehicle to find the correct gap.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

Honestly I need a little more information, are you talking about the clutch operation while the engine is running as suggested?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…