Menu

A couple of questions

• Creator
    Topic
    suleman09suleman09
    Participant

Hey everyone I have a couple questions about different

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

where exactly is the vibration on the mustang? is it in the steering wheel? is it in the brake pedal? does the wheel shake when driving and not touching the
        brakes? Does the wheel shake when applying the brakes.or are you feeling the vibration in your seat?

suleman09suleman09
        Participant

Quoted From dreamer2355:

1) Vibrations are usually in the drive train and are as a result form something being unbalanced as it is rotating.

Did you ever check your wheel bearings, driveshaft or U-joints?

Wheel bearings usually ‘growl’ when they start to fail but can also cause a vibration too.

2) Here is the link to the free Chilton’s online. Its very basic at best but is better than nothing.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/forum/topics.aspx?ID=107

1) Oh okay, i havent checked any of those things specifically but would the wheel bearing make that vibrating sound if i took the wheel and brakes off and just spin it really fast?
          how would i go about checking the parts you mentioned individually?

2) thanks!

dreamer2355dreamer2355
          Participant

I would rotate the tires first and start with the basics, then report back to us C8-)

suleman09suleman09
            Participant

lol ok deal

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

1. Suspension parts do NOT cause vibrations, they can make them worse but they are not responsible for causing vibration, things that rotate cause vibration and BECAUSE you just had the tires replace I would recommend taking them back to recheck the balance and also to see if there is a tire problem, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that you threw one of the wheel balance weights that was just installed, in fact it happens all the time and some tires are better than others so if there is a problem with one of the tires it may show up right away, it could also be an issue with the installation.

2. Bad inner tie rods have nothing to do with a PS rack leak it’s just easier to replace the entire rack if you have a leak and loose inner tie rods because a new unit would come complete with new inner tie rods and new seals to prevent leaks. I’d have to see it for myself to make a real assessment on that however.

3. I’d say a good round number would be 15-20lbft on the pan bolts but as suggested check the service manual for the correct spec.

suleman09suleman09
                Participant

Quoted From EricTheCarGuy:

1. Suspension parts do NOT cause vibrations, they can make them worse but they are not responsible for causing vibration, things that rotate cause vibration and BECAUSE you just had the tires replace I would recommend taking them back to recheck the balance and also to see if there is a tire problem, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that you threw one of the wheel balance weights that was just installed, in fact it happens all the time and some tires are better than others so if there is a problem with one of the tires it may show up right away, it could also be an issue with the installation.

2. Bad inner tie rods have nothing to do with a PS rack leak it’s just easier to replace the entire rack if you have a leak and loose inner tie rods because a new unit would come complete with new inner tie rods and new seals to prevent leaks. I’d have to see it for myself to make a real assessment on that however.

3. I’d say a good round number would be 15-20lbft on the pan bolts but as suggested check the service manual for the correct spec.

1. man i really hope they didn’t mess anything up or put on any bad tires
                  2. ok, i bought the rack so ill be replacing that soon.
                  3. that helps i only put it down to like 10 before so i need to go tighter lol

thanks!

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                  Participant

1) For the Mustang, I would rotate the tires to see if the vibrations go away. Do you feel any pulsation in the brake pedal? If you do, you may have warped rotors. The only fix for those is to have them cut or replaced with a quality set.

To check for rotor an un even surface, you will need to use a dial indicator gage and check for run out.

2) I would just replace the entire power steering rack. If you have power steering fluid gathering up in the bellows, the inner seals are leaking. Power steering racks usually come with the inner tie rods already installed. You will need to install your old existing outer tie rods and then have an alignment.

3) For the torque specifications, we have a link to free Chilton’s online in the ‘How To’ section. You may want to check this out as it does provide some torque specs.

Hope this helps.

suleman09suleman09
                    Participant

Quoted From dreamer2355:

1) For the Mustang, I would rotate the tires to see if the vibrations go away. Do you feel any pulsation in the brake pedal? If you do, you may have warped rotors. The only fix for those is to have them cut or replaced with a quality set.

To check for rotor an un even surface, you will need to use a dial indicator gage and check for run out.

2) I would just replace the entire power steering rack. If you have power steering fluid gathering up in the bellows, the inner seals are leaking. Power steering racks usually come with the inner tie rods already installed. You will need to install your old existing outer tie rods and then have an alignment.

3) For the torque specifications, we have a link to free Chilton’s online in the ‘How To’ section. You may want to check this out as it does provide some torque specs.

Hope this helps.

first of all, thanks for the advice it does help

1) i actually have replaced all of the brakes just this past week, but the vibration has been there for months but i can’t seem to find the problem.
                      so do you think there is no way it could be the sway bar bushings?

2) ok that makes sense, this ought to be fun lol
                      do you know how much information from ETCG’s Steering rack video on the Toyota 4Runner can transfer over to a minivan like this T&C?

3) Wow i didn’t know about this at all, thanks! lol

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                      Participant

1) Check out this video from Eric –

http://www.youtube.com/user/EricTheCarG … cFbb43fwqk

It is a video on how to find suspension noises so it may be of some use to you. And depending on the brand of rotors, some will be ‘out of round’ due to the quality of the materials used and how long it has been stored on the parts shelf.

People who buy after market rotors still like to cut them to make sure there ‘true’.

2) Some of it will translate. You might want to check out that free service link i suggested as i *think* you may need to slightly drop the sub frame on that vehicle for the power steering rack.

3) You are most welcome and thank you for using the forums!

suleman09suleman09
                        Participant

Quoted From dreamer2355:

1) Check out this video from Eric –

http://www.youtube.com/user/EricTheCarG … cFbb43fwqk

It is a video on how to find suspension noises so it may be of some use to you. And depending on the brand of rotors, some will be ‘out of round’ due to the quality of the materials used and how long it has been stored on the parts shelf.

People who buy after market rotors still like to cut them to make sure there ‘true’.

2) Some of it will translate. You might want to check out that free service link i suggested as i *think* you may need to slightly drop the sub frame on that vehicle for the power steering rack.

3) You are most welcome and thank you for using the forums!

1) That’s actually the first video i went after when the sounds started coming lol everything seems to be in good condition. I think i’ve watched that video like 20 times lol
                          the only reason it hasn’t helped me so much is this
                          it’s great to find the suspension sounds of rattling, shaking, grinding.
                          But it have a vibration,i dont know how to find that using the shaking the wheel method.

2) Okay thanks, but i couldnt find the section you were mentioning. What link up top is it?
                          like, Home, About, Videos, Tools, Parts, Forum?

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                          Participant

1) Vibrations are usually in the drive train and are as a result form something being unbalanced as it is rotating.

Did you ever check your wheel bearings, driveshaft or U-joints?

Wheel bearings usually ‘growl’ when they start to fail but can also cause a vibration too.

2) Here is the link to the free Chilton’s online. Its very basic at best but is better than nothing.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/forum/topics.aspx?ID=107

suleman09suleman09
                            Participant

So I took my car to a local shop to get the balance checked.
                              Turns out the tires I bought were actually uneven on the tread. So i bought new tires from tirerack.com

MattMatt
                              Participant

Quoted From suleman09:

So I took my car to a local shop to get the balance checked.
                                Turns out the tires I bought were actually uneven on the tread. So i bought new tires from tirerack.com

They sold you mismatched tires? I hope you got your money back…

suleman09suleman09
                                Participant

Quoted From Beefy:

They sold you mismatched tires? I hope you got your money back…

yea i called them, they said they would take care of it so we’ll see.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                                  Participant

Quoted From suleman09:

yea i called them, they said they would take care of it so we’ll see.

Keep us posted on this issue too. I’m curious of the out come.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…