Menu

ABS code Confusion!

• Creator
    Topic
    Etcg5Etcg5
    Participant

96 Honda accord EX 4 door 4cyl VTEC.
      Code 1-8. I’ve read two different takes on this code. 1) high pressure issue -accumulator. 2) rear wheel faulty sensor. The only reason I say this is because it looked to matter that I had a 4 door. Can someone clear this up?
      Check out the two fault code lists…

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

4 door doesn’t matter…looks like a short in wheel cylinder wiring. I would start by pulling off that wheel and checking it out visually.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

What’s important here is to distinguish between a code 1 and a code 8 OR a code 18. 2 door or 4 door doesn’t make a difference, all Honda’s and Acura’s of that vintage use the same ABS codes.

Etcg5Etcg5
          Participant

Hey eric, first of all,why you gotta be so cool?
            Second, I got tired of wonderin waitin worryin about
            What to do with this code. Went down to a salvage
            Yard and took a wild hoopty ride through fields of
            Dead cars to exhume a modulator from an old accord
            Given up for dead. Took it home, put it in my car
            , bled the break system and modulator , and it’s
            over with. No more ABS light. Beer is good.
            Thanks for all your digital encouragement.
            Kris

dreamer2355dreamer2355
            Participant

Thanks for the update!

Don’t forget to change the traffic light to Green if the issue resolved! C8-)

Keymaster

Thanks for the update. That’s the reason I wanted to know if it was a code 1 and a code 8 or a code 18 as a code 1-8 would indicate a leak in the ABS modulator and a loss of pressure, interestingly enough there is no code 18 so in a way I should have known that in the first place sorry. Normally a code 8 is associated with a corresponding wheel code for a wheel speed sensor problem such as 4-8 would indicate a problem with a LR speed sensor signal. Glad you got it solved thanks for using the ETCG forum.

MattMatt
                Participant

I don’t know hondas that well, so I just have to ask. It’s a ’96, so it should be OBD2, but did they maintain the old school codes? If I remember right, didn’t you count flashed on the ECM? This is totally out of curiosity.

Keymaster

Quoted From Beefy:

I don’t know hondas that well, so I just have to ask. It’s a ’96, so it should be OBD2, but did they maintain the old school codes? If I remember right, didn’t you count flashed on the ECM? This is totally out of curiosity.

You could still jump the 2 pin connector and get ‘codes’ all the way up to the mid 2000’s on Honda’s and Acuras. OBDII however only covers emissions and does NOT cover ABS, to this day manufacturers have their own codes for ABS even though you can retrieve many of them with a scanner, it was never mandated that ABS had to be generic like OBDII did for emissions.

MattMatt
                    Participant

Quoted From EricTheCarGuy:

You could still jump the 2 pin connector and get ‘codes’ all the way up to the mid 2000’s on Honda’s and Acuras. OBDII however only covers emissions and does NOT cover ABS, to this day manufacturers have their own codes for ABS even though you can retrieve many of them with a scanner, it was never mandated that ABS had to be generic like OBDII did for emissions.

Thanks for the tip Eric. I feel like I got ripped off in my brakes class, as our instructor was a ‘fill-in’, and literally spent about 1 hour covering ALL of ABS right before our final exam. I’m looking into sitting in on a class when they cover ABS systems, and I better not get charged…

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                      Participant

Quoted From Beefy:

Thanks for the tip Eric. I feel like I got ripped off in my brakes class, as our instructor was a ‘fill-in’, and literally spent about 1 hour covering ALL of ABS right before our final exam. I’m looking into sitting in on a class when they cover ABS systems, and I better not get charged…

That’s not good.

My Brake Systems class was a full blown 16 week course with 70% being hands on as well as hands on finals which were challenging. We spent a good month i believe just on ABS alone. Our paper testing is all ASE based questions so its all good prep for when you take your ASE exams.

I still have all my college books if you need to PM me with any questions or if you want to borrow some.

MattMatt
                        Participant

I still have my books. I saved ’em all. It was my first quarter back to school (3 years ago now). I’m just a better visual/hands on learner than reading from a book. I understand the gist of ABS as far as speed sensors, I just want more info on diagnostics of modulators etc.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…