Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Acura GSR Timing Belt – OEM Parts or After Market?

Acura GSR Timing Belt – OEM Parts or After Market?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Acura GSR Timing Belt – OEM Parts or After Market?

• Creator
    Topic
    JosieJosie
    Participant

My 1996 GSR has about 212,000KM (132k Miles) and I’ve only put about 25,000KM of those myself. Car works good. I have no service history of when the last Timing belt was done so I am assuming it would be getting about that time now (thinking it must have been done at least once).) The dealer told me a while ago it would be $500 or more for parts (I am hoping that’s belt and water pump kit at that price – can’t recall) Or I can get after market, standard replacement, for $130. Now I know Eric mentions some parts should ALWAYS be Honda OEM and I do want to look after my B18C1 but since the price difference is so large, is the OEM really worth that extra cost?

Thanks for your advice in advance Guys!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      AccordAccord
      Participant

Yes they are worth the extra cash . I had a 1991 Honda Accord with a jdm f22a . That think was very picky about parts . Just spend the extra cash for the parts and save you’re self the hassle of double paying and potentially braking down . If replacing timeing belt and water pump make sure it includes new tensioners . Do you plan to do it or have a shop do it .

F.Y.I DONT LET YOU FRIENDS TOUCH IT BIG NO NO.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
        Participant

There have been cases when after installing a aftermarket timing belt issues arose because the replacement belt wasn’t an exact match ( a hair longer ).
          Causing timing issues.
          JMHO.
          Save yourself the grief and hassle and go OEM.
          Granted it is more costly but it will pay for itself knowing that if something does happen when using a aftermarket part you won’t be spending $$$ on diagnostics.

JosieJosie
          Participant

Thanks for the advice. I’ll be doing the swap myself and yes sounds like OEM in this case is worth it. Considering these are interference engines (and the VTEC has such a high RPM range) I don’t want to chance a lower cost part if like you say it won’t match up the same. (which is different than a part that works but wears out a bit sooner- I mean a belt not being the same length! OUCH!)

Guess I’ll call the dealer back guys! This makes sense.

Participant

Good luck & Keep us posted.

Billy AndrewsBilly
              Participant

Just remember the dealership is not the only source for OEM parts, by a long shot. Get the part numbers, and have fun shopping online. Google Shopping and Amazon are your friends.

James BlasicJames Blasic
                Participant

There are dealers that sell parts online at a good discount. Plenty for Honda and Acura. Just google.

JosieJosie
                  Participant

UPDATE: Belt looks good?

With 5 cars in the fleet, I finally got around to having an actual quick look at my GSR’s Timing belt (from the top) when swapping valve cover gaskets. Did so just before putting her back on the road last week (post clutch kit install) 🙂 I have owned the car since 2013, only put about 25,000km on it (15,000 miles) in that time and was very pleased to see everything has lasted well. I didn’t really have a history of the car or when the belt was done last, but took it into the Acura dealer to have it inspected shorty after buying. (Didn’t ask for a belt check, just to have any issues found and fixed – Then lets just say bad experiences there brought me here to ETCG 😉 )

Have a look at the pics of the valve train and cover – SOOO clean! 🙂 And lucky for me, the belt maker stamp was in the viewable area (its a Honda BELT! 126RU26 model i think) as well as the “Top” indicators of the Cam gears were visible too and pointing in the same direction (meaning no slippage.) Belt seemed very snug and did not look dry cracked or worn. All to say it MUST have been swapped at least once with OEM. That can’t be a 200,000 KM old belt right?

Anyway, have a look and let me know if you see any gotchas. How old do you think that belt looks? Safe for another 10,000Km or more you think?

Participant

JMHO,
                      Without inspecting the tooth side of the belt for glazing or cracking ( actual cog contact surface ) …
                      Judging the belt condition only from the visible top area does not tell the whole story.

These areas in red look concerning:
                      Also you can clearly see the belt teeth shadowing ( yellow arrows ) which indicates the belt has enough time on it to allow the tension / follower to make these markings.

As to the condition of the engine’s internals:
                      I’d think the car has had regular oil changes during its life.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…