Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • acura integra transmission noise/diagnosis

acura integra transmission noise/diagnosis

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here acura integra transmission noise/diagnosis

• Creator
    Topic
    tim landtim land
    Participant

vehicle : 2000 acura integra gsr standard transmission

symptom: high pitch bearing noise coming from transmission. Can ONLY hear noise with clutch engaged (foot off clutch), but immediately after taking up clutch pedal free play, the noise goes away completely. immediately after taking up pedal free play, very little pressure on pedal needed to eliminate noise.

misc information: – noise doesn’t change pitch, in any forward gears or reverse, nor does speed affect the noise (it is just less audible, cause of engine and wind) can hear noise better with car idling.

-throw out bearing makes no noise (push the pedal there is no noise from transmission or clutch)
      -pressure plate may be worn (makes noise when push clutch in)
      -have changed transmission fluid with amsoil synchromesh fluid (but the noise existed before the fluid change)

question:

– how do you know which bearing is making the noise? shop insisted it was input shaft bearing
      – repair estimate 1700 dollars
      -is there any way to bring this cost down?
      – don’t feel confident in doing the repair–lack of knowledge, (no hydraulic presses, or gear pullers/impact drivers/air compressors) but I can take the transmission off car, would that reduce costs?
      – can I just ship it to you ERIC? lol jk

thank you, any input would help

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BillBill
      Participant

I’m no expert with Acuras but if it was the transmission the noise would only go away when the clutch was fully to the floor. In My humble opinion i think the throw out bearing is making the noise you describe.

I can’t remember if your clutch is cable or hydraulic but if it’s hydraulic try pushing the rod in the slave cylinder into the slave cylinder (toward the cyl and not the engine) to see if the noise goes away. If it’s a cable shorten the cable adjustment.Keep safety in mind working on the running engine, as in BLOCK THE WHEELS!

college mancollege man

I’m leaning torward the input shaft. That is in play with
          the clutch engaged. either way the trans has to come out.
          If that is the case. replace the clutch and related components.

ChrisChris
          Participant

Having the same issue. A whirring bearing noise from the tranny when clutch engaged (up position) .

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…