Menu

Adjusting Brakes 2005 Accord V6

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Adjusting Brakes 2005 Accord V6

• Creator
    Topic
    dallusglockindallusglockin
    Participant

My g/f has a 2005 Accord V6 and it’s been getting worse and worse gas mileage over the past couple months.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dreamer2355dreamer2355
      Participant

If you hook up a scan tool and look at live data, you will be able to see if the computer is trying to adjust for a lean condition or not by looking at fuel trim readings. Also, ‘lazy’ 02 sensors may cause mileage woes but again you need to find evidence from a scan tool.

If your brakes are dragging that bad, they would create alot of brake dust. You could do an inspection of the pads and see if the material has prematurely worn down or not. Look for discoloration on the rotor as signs of heat. Also, check for a sticking emergency brake too.

Just some basics to get you started with S:)

twiggytwiggy
        Participant

If your brakes are dragging enough to lower your mileage that much the wheels will be extremely hot, which is an easy test.

Also, I have the same issue with dropping MPG with my Honda Civic, now I just need a scan tool that can take the live readings. I would like to see a tutorial on this myself.

ClicknClackClicknClack
          Participant

If you do find that they’re dragging it might be a good idea to flush the brake system on top of changing the calipers and rubber hoses, which is often overlooked. Even if your brake fluid looks ok you might have a piece of the hose that fell apart internally that’s preventing the brakes from releasing.

Jason Alexmckrishes
            Participant

you could definetly tell if your brakes are dragging. i.e. lots of brake dust, excessive pad wear, very hot wheels.

The honda dealer has a pretty cool diagnostic tool that they can hook up to your car to check all systems. I would take my car there.

rice400rice400
              Participant

If you had an infrared (spelling?) thermometer you could point it at each rotor after a drive and see if one is greatly hotter then the rest if there is fact a problem with the brake systems. At least then u could isolate it to one wheel. I also agree with maybe the 02 sensor getting lazy especially if its the original one, its prly getting lazy but not quite bad enough to set a code yet…

twiggytwiggy
                Participant

How do you check to see if the O2 sensor is getting slow?

rice400rice400
                  Participant
                    twiggytwiggy
                    Participant

Thanks! That was a good writeup!

fitonefitone
                      Participant

I also have a 2005 Accord V6. I can’t add anymore info. related to possible dragging brakes or O2 sensor issues. But a couple other things that you might be interested in trying related to maintenance. First one is to change the PCV valve on this car. It’s in an odd place and must be purchased from the Honda dealer or online. Its located under the front plastic cover for the plugs on the left side if you are looking at the firewall. After removing the cover you will see valve attached to the engine with a single bolt. Remove bolt and then slide out of engine. Second thing is to remove the EGR gallery cover plate on the top of the engine. Has about ~12 ten MM bolts. Clean the gallery with carb cleaner as needed. Be sure to torque all bolts evenly!

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                        Keymaster

I would drop the O2 sensor theory, a 2005 has pretty tight tolerances and heavily monitors the O2 output for any variances, if it was slow or bad it would set a code. As suggested above if you suspect a problem with the brakes the easiest thing to do is jack up the wheels one at a time and spin them while checking for resistance, make sure the car is in neutral when you check the front wheels. If you find one hanging up make sure you followed the steps in this video for how to lubricate and install brake pads, you can’t rule out a sticking caliper piston however. Tire pressure is extremely important so be sure to check that as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAviOGXzEUk

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…