Menu

Aftermarket or OEM parts?

• Creator
    Topic
    David P WrightDavid P Wright
    Participant

Hi,
      I have a 1994 Acura Vigor, 2.5 inline 5 cylinder G25A. I am replacing the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and bearing along with the associated gaskets and o-rings. I was wondering if using aftermarket parts is a good Idea or should I bite the bullet ($$) and get OEM Acura parts. Also, any advice on the job would be welcomed – I have changed many timing belts and chains in the past but never on an Acura. I do have a shop manual which would help but advice from the experts is more then welcome and appreciated.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dave TidmanDave Tidman
      Participant

OEM is more expensive, but you know it will fit correctly. However, if you do some digging, you can find who the manufacturer of the OEM parts is and you may be able find an aftermarket kit made by them.

Antonio C MichaelAntonio C Michael
        Participant

Depends on the part wether you go with oem for aftermarket I use a lot of parts from Napa most of there parts are better then oem also cheaper in long run there are a lot of parts that you can’t get from dealer any more because they only stock for 10 years I do research for every part I replace to make sure the aftermarket will fit and work just as the oem would for things like sensors aftermarket are cheaper and last longer when I buy them from Napa I just replaced my power steering pump alternator belt tensioner water pump oil pump and throttle position sensor with Napa parts and they work great on my 6.8l v10 so Napa has great aftermarket parts and Napa can also order you parts strait from the dealer that makes your vehicle if you want oem parts and that also helps if you live farther from a dealer then Napa because Napa can get the parts you want from were you want them if you want oem they can get them even if there hard to find and if you okay with aftermarket they can help with that also

BluesnutBluesnut
          Participant

Just an FYI, but most parts on all cars are actually aftermarket. Brakes, clutches, FI parts, all electrical, seats, transmissions, you name it.
            That includes timing components.

Many times the OEM and aftermarket are manufactured by the same people. The only difference is the ink stamp on the part or the packaging.

Antonio C MichaelAntonio C Michael
            Participant

Very true bluesnut kinda like tools now days most of them made by same plant just different name stamp

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…