Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • All 4 brake pads are at 5 mm; need to replace front rotors; Question

All 4 brake pads are at 5 mm; need to replace front rotors; Question

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here All 4 brake pads are at 5 mm; need to replace front rotors; Question

• Creator
    Topic
    NoName nameNoName
    Participant

All 4 brake pads are in good condition and at 5 mm.
      Front rotors need to be replaced (vibration when braking).

Should I:

1. Keep old 5 mm pads with new front rotors?
      2. Replace also front pads (with new rotors) and keep old 5 mm pads with old – but good – rear rotors?
      3. Replace front rotors and pads, and rear pads?
      4. I am sure someone will ask “where is the 4th option – replace all 4 rotors and pads”, so here it is 🙂 (although I can understand the logic of all 4 new pads but cannot understand why new REAR rotors will be needed if they are good).

Thanks in advance!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

[quote=”sbi” post=188697]All 4 brake pads are in good condition and at 5 mm.
        Front rotors need to be replaced (vibration when braking).

Should I:

1. Keep old 5 mm pads with new front rotors?
        2. Replace also front pads (with new rotors) and keep old 5 mm pads with old – but good – rear rotors?
        3. Replace front rotors and pads, and rear pads?
        4. I am sure someone will ask “where is the 4th option – replace all 4 rotors and pads”, so here it is 🙂 (although I can understand the logic of all 4 new pads but cannot understand why new REAR rotors will be needed if they are good).

Thanks in advance![/quote]

JMHO….

If your replacing the front rotors due to warping, you should replace the pads also.
        As to the rears rotors and pads:
        If after R&R the front rotors and pads, then testing the rears, there shows no issue with warping.
        You can leave well enough alone.
        Keep in mind the front brakes do somewhere between 60 – 80 % of the braking.
        So it is not uncommon to see rear brakes out last the fronts by 40 – 60%

NoName nameNoName
        Participant

I’ll change both front rotors and pads, it makes sense.
          Still not sure about the rear. The rear rotors and pads are fine, according to Honda dealership. Can’t decide what is a better action in this case: keep 5 mm rear pads with “all new” in the front, or a mix of older (rear) rotors with new (rear) pads.

Thanks.

Participant

If the rear rotors shown no warping, and it gives you some peace of mind to replace the pads …
            By all means replace them.
            In the end you need to feel comfortable driving the vehicle.

NoName nameNoName
            Participant

[quote=”nightflyr” post=188713]If the rear rotors shown no warping, and it gives you some peace of mind to replace the pads …
              By all means replace them.
              In the end you need to feel comfortable driving the vehicle.[/quote]

Thanks. I will feel comfortable either way, I am just asking what’s “better” (for the lack of a better word) in this case.

Participant

In this case 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other, mechanically speaking.
                In most cases the rear brakes will out last the fronts ~ 2:1
                But if you want to keep everything equal, and the cost is not a issue.
                But if you leave the rears as is:
                Chances are more likely though, come the time you need to replace the fronts again, you’ll be looking at replacing the rears.

As far as driveability:
                I doubt you’ll feel any difference in the the vehicles stopping performance.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…