Menu

Alternatives to being a tech?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only Alternatives to being a tech?

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by IanIan.
  • Creator
    Topic
    BillBill
    Participant

I’ve been in the business for about 10 year’s now. Recently my body has been breaking down pretty bad and I’m having a lot of trouble holding up to the physical demands of being a tech. I’m only 38 but have significant ulnar nerve problems causing numbness and various other wrist and hand problems in my dominant arm. My doctor has advised me to find another line of work. I want nothing to do with parts, service writing, or sales jobs. I was wondering if any of you guys had any experience or insight on being an inspector for the aftermarket used car inspection companies such as Carchex or The Lemon Squad?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      DariusDarius
      Participant

It may sound strange from this side of the fence, but maybe consider a car insurance company. They’re usually looking for claims adjusters who can more accurately assess the damage, and who better than a guy who fixes it? The pay is appropriate.

A toyotakarlIts me

If you like teaching, and still like the repair aspects, perhaps as an auto shop instructor.

Good luck

-Karl

IanIan
          Participant

There’s plenty of alternatives to being a tech! My first summer internship, I worked as a service engineer at Ford’s technical assistance center. A lot of guys there were former service techs. Some who did well there they sent out to be field service engineers. One young guy really wanted to be an actual inganeer and was taking classes at night. After a while, they hooked him up with a direct-hire engineer position while he took night classes.

My second summer internship was with FCA at their training center in the Detroit-Metro. It was a bit of a 50/50 split between development (coming up with training material) and delivery (actually teaching said training material). The development side was a pretty exclusive gun-club and required a certain amount of computer-savvy that sometimes I couldn’t even keep up with. The delivery side was a bit more hands-on and most of the folks in the class were techs. There was also a pair of contracted guys that were responsible for coming up with the monthly MasterTech episodes. Like others mentioned, there’s always school instructor positions too.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…