Menu

Any GM dealership guys out there?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Automotive Discussion Any GM dealership guys out there?

• Creator
    Topic
    ChevypowerChevypower
    Participant

Hey guys, what’s new?

I’m fixin to graduate WyoTech in Dec and the ultimate dream job would be an apprenticeship at GM. What sorts of Warranty work and pattern failures is GM experiencing right now? What are the components, tests, functions, and jobs that give a lot of younger guys a hard time? What can I *REALLY* expect when I first roll my toolbox into the shop? With my level of education, how much additional training would be needed before I would start getting paid on the “Flat-Rape” system?

I’m really nervous about getting stuck on a “Team-flat-rate” system. I don’t want my mistakes to be costing everybody else a paycheck.

I guess what I’m really looking to learn is whatever you guys would be nice enough to teach me. What do you work on every day? A lot of stuff that the customer just destroyed, or routine maintenance?

Thanks,

Jason

Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      ChevypowerChevypower
      Participant

Thanks, Shaun.

Let me run this theory by you:

Average work week is 40 hours. 8 hours per day, 5 days per week. So, If I work 12 hours per day, 6 days per week at 72 hours, I’ll get more cars in and out of my bay. The more cars that one repairs, the more knowledge he gains as a Tech.

Ipso Facto, if I put in more daily hours and more days per week, I’ll learn faster and progress to the top, and take less years to get there. Right??

dreamer2355dreamer2355
        Participant

Not really.

First off, you wont be getting 12 hours a day right off the bat. Its a very hard field to break into these days. And if you do get hired, you will start off with doing basics such as oil changes, tire changes, cleaning equipment, sweeping and then progressing from there.

You will learn at a faster rate if you obeserve other techs and ask many questions. Dont go in thinking you know everything.

And as for booking hours, it will dependant on if they start you as flate rate (which i doubt) and remember when you make mistakes, you will loose time on that vehicle.

I would highly recommend continung your education and taking all the ASE tests now. Then once you have 2 years experience, you will get your ASE credentials.

ChevypowerChevypower
          Participant

My Army Service covers ASE Minimum req. 2 years. T)
            Although, when you condense it down to actual experience, I would say it’s more like 6 months. 2 Month Military Mechanic school = 1 month ASE. 12 months at WyoTech = 6 months ASE. 2 months at Spiffy Lube. So I figure my real total to be 15 out of 24 months as of Graduation. lol I may try to take ASE practice tests or wait a little bit. IDK

And I know that my education barely scratches the surface. During the Automotive program, I learned something almost every day that I would never have dreamed of in a million years. If WyoTech didn’t teach me something like that on a Monday, I got double on Tuesday.

Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…