Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Are you happy with your code reader?

Are you happy with your code reader?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Are you happy with your code reader?

• Creator
    Topic
    spelunkerdspelunkerd
    Participant

I’m looking for a reliable code reader that has live data capability, one that can read codes and live data from most brands. Any advice?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dreamer2355dreamer2355
      Participant

I have the Actron CP9190. It does Global OBD2 and Domestic OBD1.

Some of the features are live data PID’s, freeze frame data, I/M data, some basic graphing capabilities (no way as good as a scope) but its perfect for home use.

I purchased it from Amazon.com. It also came with the case and update software. No issues so far. You can even download the instructions online if needed so you can get a feel for what your buying.

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9190-AutoScanner-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B000KGCUMA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1317870577&sr=8-2

The only aspect of this scan tool i do not like is the fact its not bi-directional but most of us cant afford those type of scan tools anyhow for home use.

If you have any questions regarding this tool, just PM me.

spelunkerdspelunkerd
        Participant

Thanks, I’ll bear that in mind. A few of the Actron reviews scare me a little, with loud complaints that Actron don’t honour warranty, have poor customer relations, and don’t recognize receipts from internet retailers. It surprises me to learn that companies don’t perceive the permanent damage they do to their reputation when they enrage new customers who have defective products right out of the box. Even if it’s only a few, they need to treat those people right, because everybody’s watching.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
          Participant

well i have never had any issues. Theres alot of other scan tools to look at so just see what Amazon sells and look at the reviews out side of amazon too 🙂

jbonejbone
            Participant

Actron here too from autozone.one of the cheaper ones for $50, no issues, just basic scanner for codes

SpawnedXSpawnedX
              Participant

I have an Actron CP9175 and it is really good. I am thinking about upgrading to one that can capture live data, but otherwise consider this a thumbs up for Actron.

pcmdjasonpcmdjason
                Participant

I bought the cheapest ELM327 USB cable and use my laptop with Scantool.NET and it works pretty good.

spelunkerdspelunkerd
                  Participant

Thanks again for all your replies. I do have a basic reader, but live data sounds appealing and I’ll probably upgrade.

When I buy a tool I want it to last a long time, especially since a code reader is not a tool I would use every day. Unfortunately with operating system changes, a device that works today may not work with the next generation operating systems.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                    Participant

I just got my snapon mtg-2500 today that i bought off of ebay.
                      I still need to buy some other cables and software for it.., but I’m happy with what it does now (abs,air bag, pcm, bcm, antitheft, bydirectional controls) on domestic vehicles, I have another software coming that does domestic and asian 1980-2005. It also does generic code reading too for the cars i dont have software for.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                      Participant

The MTG 2500 also know as the ‘Brick’ was pretty useful back in the day. Its a shame its outdated and no longer updateable. I think 05 was the last update for them before the Modis came out? (Someone please correct me if im wrong here).

Nevertheless i still enjoy using them and would have one in my tool box C8-)

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                        Participant

Quoted From dreamer2355:

The MTG 2500 also know as the ‘Brick’ was pretty useful back in the day. Its a shame its outdated and no longer updateable. I think 05 was the last update for them before the Modis came out? (Someone please correct me if im wrong here).

Nevertheless i still enjoy using them and would have one in my tool box C8-)

I think the updates went up to 08, But it’s what i can afford and it’s much better then a cheap generic code reader.
                          Anything newer then 08 would probably still be covered by the factory warranty anyway.C8-)

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                          Participant

Its deffinately a good buy!. I even looked into one too for home use but they were way over priced for my own budget too so i just settled on the Actron 9190.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                            Participant

Quoted From dreamer2355:

Its deffinately a good buy!. I even looked into one too for home use but they were way over priced for my own budget too so i just settled on the Actron 9190.

The 9190 is still a good tool, it does OBD-1 and OBD-2 right?
                              Also does graphing too right?

yarddog1950yarddog1950
                              Participant

yes

jacobnbr1jacobnbr1
                                Participant

I have bought a lot of scanners in my time and have sold 0 of them.
                                  Keep them even if they are out dated because all the new tools are focused on newer stuff and almost never go back.

I got a brick mt2500 for obd1 crap with some oems like GMtech1a, Chrysler drb and ford ngs that seldom get touched but when we do get em out we are glad we held on to them.

That said, buy only oem scan tools. The oem stuff may cost a lot but when it comes down to bi-directional testing and repairs the knock offs can’t duplicate it.

Stop sending stuff to the dealers and get on board with the new future as the oem’s are forced to sell us professionals their tools they use so the field is level.
                                  People think the dealer is the higher power that can only do certain things like flash calibrations, mileage corrections, VIN writing,radio unlock codes, Transponder key replacement/originations or All Keys Lost but I’m here to tell you we do it all in our facility with their tools and the local dealers hate my guts for it.
                                  It is not that they are special people with special skills. They are just using the tool that was designed to make the repair and that is their special recipe.
                                  If you are a L8 tech you need to spend the 900.00 and register with ALOA and gain full capabilities through the manufacturers and they will no longer give you crap when you ask for something. (On a side note there is no reason to register at ALOA if you don’t have the oem tools to carry out the functions)

I like the autoenginuity pc tester bought on ebay only as a basic quick check and love the special features. Be advised that the kit sold on ebay is basic kit and will need an upgrade for other modules like trans,abs,srs etc..

spelunkerdspelunkerd
                                  Participant

@Jacobnbr1 Thanks for your unique insight on this issue. Although I like the idea of OEM code readers, that’s not a practical option for those who do low volume and see many different brands of vehicle. Certainly for the average DIY person, it’s out of ra

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…