Menu

ATF

• Creator
    Topic
    Daniel RoseDaniel Rose
    Participant

First post and after reading how many lube techs are onboard I decided to ask a “how do you do it” (I was persistent). The subject is brand new ATF and how do YOU get the level correct and how much time do YOU spend on getting it right? New ATF is so hard to see, almost invisible on the stick. Hard to get right espically on long dipsticks.

About me. I am retired after 40 years (Hey it did not say retired technicians are not allowed). About the screen name I chose (I know people will say “who the heck thinks they are “Tech 1”). Back in the days of OBD1 at GM Dealers guys were constantly running around asking “do you have the Tech 1” (it is a scan tool). My smart reply usually was (unless in fact did have it) was “no, but I am Tech 1” it kinda stuck.Hope to hang out here some.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      GregGreg
      Participant

Welcome I’m pretty new here too

James P GrossoJames P Grosso
        Participant

Sorry, I don’t have a good answer. Good lighting. Maybe using a sharpie or other indicator on the stick that changes color shade when fluid is on it?
          I’m new here too, just a car enthusiast who is between jobs so I have too much time on my hands right now.

zerozero
          Participant

Touch it to your hand lengthwise, getting the fluid on your hand. lift the dipstick up and move it beside the oil on your hands to see where it is. Likewise anything like a rag, paper towel, paper, etc will work the same way.

Daniel RoseDaniel Rose
            Participant

I could see that working DaFirnz. I do not think there is much to be done to prevent the customer from pulling the stick and concluding the level is incorrect. I have spent quite a bit of time getting it so the level appears just right on the stick. I think my worst experience was with GM full size vans (G body vans) That long stick and the really clean ATF made it tough to convince yourself that the level was correct

JustinJustin
              Participant

I’ll agree with you on that tech1. It’s extremely hard to read in sucky light for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
                Participant

If a customer actually pulled the stick and told me the level of a trans i would be surprised i would also ask if they had it in the right spot on the sifter.

As for when its hard to see i use a paper towel and pinch the bottom of the dipstick and then squeeze it to the stick and compare like DaFrinz stated. Either that or use my streamlight stylus pro or hold the dipstick level and look at it from the side thin part in front of my eyes and look for the height difference.

If it is a clear reservior like power steering i put a flashlight against the container and look for color difference whether above or below the fluid.

Daniel RoseDaniel Rose
                  Participant

I think these tips just may be the answer for somebody that is in a bind trying to get the level exactly correct for a picky customer.

Isaias AlmanzaIsaias Almanza
                    Participant

I just did a performance application trans build (drag racing / Powerglide) and a trick I use is to use some florescent engine oil dye when filling the trans (just a little goes a long way – a capful is all you need).

Look on alldata for the spec quantity and fill to that. Run the trans through all gears and recheck. The fluid shows up a lot better with the dye in it on a stainless dipstick that way.

RickRick
                      Participant

[quote=”Tech 1″ post=167125]First post and after reading how many lube techs are onboard I decided to ask a “how do you do it” (I was persistent). The subject is brand new ATF and how do YOU get the level correct and how much time do YOU spend on getting it right? New ATF is so hard to see, almost invisible on the stick. Hard to get right espically on long dipsticks.

About me. I am retired after 40 years (Hey it did not say retired technicians are not allowed). About the screen name I chose (I know people will say “who the heck thinks they are “Tech 1”). Back in the days of OBD1 at GM Dealers guys were constantly running around asking “do you have the Tech 1” (it is a scan tool). My smart reply usually was (unless in fact did have it) was “no, but I am Tech 1” it kinda stuck.Hope to hang out here some.[/quote]

I was just using a tech 2 today at work. I got a smile when you mentioned tech 1.

AlexanderAlexander
                        Participant

Ideally you’d have two measuring jugs, one for what you’ve drained and one for fresh fluids.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…