Menu

Auto tech certificate

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Auto tech certificate

• Creator
    Topic
    FastestECHOFastestECHO
    Participant

Right now I’m 16 years old going to a community collage to get my auto mechanics certificate. I was wondering if this is even going to help with getting a job as a auto tech or am i just wasting my time getting it at a community collage?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      twiggytwiggy
      Participant

Nothing wrong with community college and studying something is never a waste.

671tamuning671tamuning
        Participant

Nah, you don’t need school.

ElfyElfy
          Participant

Just try and get a job as a trainee mechanic at a dealership

dreamer2355dreamer2355
            Participant

Quoted From 671tamuning:

Nah, you don’t need school.

I have to completely disagree with you.

With advancements in automotive technology these days, you do need an education in all the fields of the automotive vehicle.

Anyone can replace parts, but it takes highly skilled and trained people to diagnose issues correctly, particularly when it pertains to electrical diagnosis.

The ability to be able to read and understand PID data and wave forms is crucial in my opinion for todays technicians.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
              Participant

I would also recommend once done with college (hopefully its a 2 to 4 year program) taking your ASE certifications.

ChevypowerChevypower
                Participant

Let me ask you this: Who ever heard of “— Community College”? It’s all fine and dandy to go to Community College and learn everything you can, but what happens when you decide to move out of state? Now, you’re just another Joe Schmoe who went to another Community College.

I’m not condemning them, knowledge is power, and it’s great to hear that you’re wanting to get into the field. But don’t put all of your eggs into one basket. Explore other options for schooling. I have a friend who went to Community College, worked in the field for a couple of years, joined the Military, and when he gets out, he wants to go to UTI.

Nothing wrong with advancing your education

twiggytwiggy
                  Participant

I disagree that a community college would put you at a disadvantage when looking for a job. It’s more important that you demonstrate that you have the skills. Once youve worked in the field for a while, your school career becomes less important. All school does is get your foot in the door. It’s up to you to apply what you’ve learned and learn on the job after that.

I’m involved with the hiring of engineers at my company and I can tell you that many engineers from big name schools have done vey poorly at my interviews.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                    Participant

Quoted From twiggy02919:

I disagree that a community college would put you at a disadvantage when looking for a job. It’s more important that you demonstrate that you have the skills. Once youve worked in the field for a while, your school career becomes less important. All school does is get your foot in the door. It’s up to you to apply what you’ve learned and learn on the job after that.

I’m involved with the hiring of engineers at my company and I can tell you that many engineers from big name schools have done vey poorly at my interviews.

I agree with you 100%.
                      I don’t give a crap about how many fancy badges you have on your shirt, if you can’t back it up then it means nothing.
                      Please don’t get me wrong, any kind of diploma or certification is great!

671tamuning671tamuning
                      Participant

Quoted From dreamer2355:

I have to completely disagree with you.

With advancements in automotive technology these days, you do need an education in all the fields of the automotive vehicle.

Anyone can replace parts, but it takes highly skilled and trained people to diagnose issues correctly, particularly when it pertains to electrical diagnosis.

The ability to be able to read and understand PID data and wave forms is crucial in my opinion for todays technicians.

I wasn’t being serious…

I thought you guys could have seen that my reply was just a joke.

Echo could have answered his own question.

I’m 1 year in tech school and I’m planning on taking my first ASE test next time they have it, I missed it this past fall but no biggie, I’ll wait for the next one.

Relax, let the good times roll.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                        Participant

+1 to Twiggy and Trcustoms.

I was going to write a huge reply but they summed it up.

You see a lot of ‘kids’ going to college for automotive technology thinking they know it all. But when there GPA is so low, that is a huge disadvantage to them try

ShirokumaShirokuma
                          Participant

A school’s good name is based on the success of its students. If the programs are strong, then you have a good start. Check with the job placement counselor on how well the college has done in finding jobs for the students (in their career choice, not fry cook at the Krusty Krab).

CAdc2CAdc2
                            Participant

I plan on entering the automotive program at my community college as soon as I free up the time. Should be the next semester if all goes well. It has a great track record with its program so even though its not UTI or Wyotech, it isn’t going to somehow put me in a disadvantage. I would agree that you should check how good the program at the school is.

671tamuning671tamuning
                              Participant

Quoted From CAdc2:

I plan on entering the automotive program at my community college as soon as I free up the time. Should be the next semester if all goes well. It has a great track record with its program so even though its not UTI or Wyotech, it isn’t going to somehow put me in a disadvantage. I would agree that you should check how good the program at the school is.

Community College, $3,000 – $5,000.

UTI, $30,000.

You decide.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                                Participant

Quoted From 671tamuning:

Community College, $3,000 – $5,000.

UTI, $30,000.

You decide.

UTI = more debt for a profession he may not like.

And not everyone likes UTI.

There is nothing stopping the poster from going from a community college to a university either if its in his budget for automotive. And UTI doesn’t guarantee success. I have talked to people who have attended UTI and have heard very good and very bad things. Yes its hearsay.

And there is some VERY good community colleges out there.

Each to there own and good luck with your decision.

johnzcarzjohnzcarz
                                  Participant

To the OP:

Let’s say you are a hiring manager for a dealership or independent service facility. 2 people walk in for a job interview. They both say they know how to fix cars. One guy has some sort of credentials to back him up – either ASE certification, degree from a college or a certificate from a tech school. The other guy has nothing. Who would you hire?

Education is an investment in yourself.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…