Menu

auto trans problem

• Creator
    Topic
    gallagher83gallagher83
    Participant

hello i have an 2009 chevy malibu with 78k on it and the service manual says to replace the fluid at 50k mile i got the car used at 77k i was wondering if i should change it now and hope for the best or just let it be there isnt any problems with shifting at all and the fluid is bright red

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BillBill
      Participant

Since you don’t know if it’s been changed I would do it.

gallagher83gallagher83
        Participant

But since it’s been a while after the recommended wouldn’t the change in the thickness of the atf might cause problems like failure or slipping

BillBill
          Participant

If the fluid is red and not brown or black I would have to assume that your transmission is healthy and at the mileage on the car I really don’t think a fluid change will hurt it.

It would give me peace of mind.

Pat CalhounPat Calhoun
            Participant

I don’t think you’d have anything to worry about changing it at 78k especially on a car as new as that. I’ve gotten cars that I was unsure of the service history and did a fluid flush at 120k without issue. If you go forever without ever changing the trans fluid and then you decide to change it when its old and brown and comes out like molasses you could see a failure but 78k and healthy red is nothing to worry about in my opinion. I’d go ahead and flush away.

ErinErin
              Participant

Sounds like it is probably pretty new fluid. I have a hard time imagining it would still be a nice red color if it had not been done in sometime in the past 78,000 miles.

I used to work in a transmission shop years ago and usually the bad trans that came in had fluid with colors like brown or black. Of course at least one clutch pack or band was toast (giving the fluid it’s nice dark color).

Red fluid, good shifts – If changing it would make you feel better, great. Probably no big rush though. Just keep an eye on it like one should anyways. I know there are countless stories about bad automatic transmissions out there which is SO settling. However, your car is not one of them.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

30K past due isn’t that much. I’ve seen as much or more than 100K in the past. Those are the ones you need to watch out for. More info on this issue here.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-transmission-problems

Good luck and keep us posted.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…