Menu

Automotive Books & Study Materials

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Automotive Books & Study Materials

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    MARK FELDSTEINMARK FELDSTEIN
    Participant

GREAT IDEA !!! Funny, I sent Eric a suggestion on this very subject last week. I think we could use a reference library aside from Eric’s top shelf videos. Thanks for putting this up here.
      Sparks

TexarkanaTexarkana
      Participant

This is what we use at my Community College:

It has some poorly written areas in different automotive systems that leave you scratching your head and saying “Wtf did I just read”. But other than that it’s setup to give you the information to pass your ASE’s even if you don’t have any hands on experience.

MARK FELDSTEINMARK FELDSTEIN
        Participant

Yeah, that’s why I like the Halderman books. Last week I posted this reply to a question Drthri035 asked about Haynes manuals.

“Haynes and Chilton books are really helpful to get you into the ballpark on fixing a lot of different cars. Over the years, however, as to older models they’ve evolved to combine multiple model years into one volume and become less specific. In a more perfect world, if you’re trying to fix a specific vehicle, ideally if you can lay your hands on a printed service manual for that car from the manufacturer, you’d be stylin’.”

“Eric covers that subject here along with some comparisons between publishers like Haynes and Service manuals put out by the manufacturer. You can find used service manuals at EBay and Amazon.”

OTOH, if you want to learn a systems approach to repairing cars, here’s a a book on Automotive Technology by a guy named James Halderman who is a great teacher, an excellent writer, and has been in the biz a long time. Amazon has the text books and lab manuals available so you can teach yourself at your own pace or find specific information. A newer volume, used is about $39 bucks. And you can find them here.
          http://www.amazon.com/AUTOMOTIVE-TECHNOLOGY-Pri…iagnosis+and+service

Halderman has ASE type study guides available for all his books. They’re also supplied with CD study discs and he’s constantly updating them. I don’t know how this guy finds time to teach but he’s good. Check him out.
          Sparks

Sparks

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…