Menu

bad gas mileage…. and getting worse

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here bad gas mileage…. and getting worse

• Creator
    Topic
    MatthewMatthew
    Participant

last time i mentioned this i got about 15mpg mind u my daewoo is 26 city 36 highway well since last report its gotten worse i am 1/8 below 1/2 a tank and ive only driven around 92 milees since fill up beginning of this month im not sure what to look for. the ripped hose i replaced didnt change the problem re-gapping plugs didnt fix this gas problem. my air filter is pretty much clean i cleaned the throttle body earlier this year i am really thinking MAF sensor but im not sure what to do i was thinking taking it to autozone tell them i need a scan but i did unplug my maf sensor one day b eginning this month so im not sure if a MAF code will show up from that or if a MAF code does show up im not sure if its because of a bad maf or cuz i unplugged it. i do have a map sensor too im just out of ideas i though ixing that hose and regapping plugs would have fixed it. What should i do?

Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MatthewMatthew
      Participant

@grg8888:

I did have a misfire before regapping the plugs… I STILL have a misfire after plug regap but not as bad so it is possible i need new wires too. I cant afford to get the timing fixed if that is the problem nor can i afford to get a new timing belt as doing so would mean well over $600 in repairs over atleast 2 days. The way the engine it is physically easier to pull the engine to replace the CPS or timing belt

Kevin CriswellKevin Criswell
        Participant

[quote=”LeoTheLion89″ post=78198]@grg8888

1. Not sure what you mean “Running the engine dead cold” Its around 40F this time of year or even colder.
          2. I dont think a Temp sensor is a Issue my Temp guage works perfectly.
          3. O2 Sensor is a possibility but i dont know if i have more than one.
          4. I dont think Exhauset is pluged. When i stated the car after the plug regap the think bellowed thick white smoke for a good two minutes. Ignition timing could be a issue but my Timing Belt is not due for a change yet.
          5. Impossible. I have what many Foreign cars have: a gas door that needs to be opened remotely my car is a lever others such as the VW Bug is a button.

Also i have a leaking valve cover the mechanic i took it to to fix the brakes said its common with my engine. I plan on replacing the valve cover gasket anyway assuming i have a socket the proper size to take the nuts off with.[/quote]

The sending unit for the gauge is often NOT the same one the computer uses to determine engine temperature.

Have you had the car scanned for codes yet?

MatthewMatthew
          Participant

[quote=”Raistian77″ post=78273][quote=”LeoTheLion89″ post=78198]@grg8888

1. Not sure what you mean “Running the engine dead cold” Its around 40F this time of year or even colder.
            2. I dont think a Temp sensor is a Issue my Temp guage works perfectly.
            3. O2 Sensor is a possibility but i dont know if i have more than one.
            4. I dont think Exhauset is pluged. When i stated the car after the plug regap the think bellowed thick white smoke for a good two minutes. Ignition timing could be a issue but my Timing Belt is not due for a change yet.
            5. Impossible. I have what many Foreign cars have: a gas door that needs to be opened remotely my car is a lever others such as the VW Bug is a button.

Also i have a leaking valve cover the mechanic i took it to to fix the brakes said its common with my engine. I plan on replacing the valve cover gasket anyway assuming i have a socket the proper size to take the nuts off with.[/quote]

The sending unit for the gauge is often NOT the same one the computer uses to determine engine temperature.

Have you had the car scanned for codes yet?[/quote]

not yet we got a spat of snow so I didnt get to it

Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…