Menu

Best oil filter

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Maintenance Forums Best oil filter

• Creator
    Topic
    Albert DucoAlbert Duco
    Participant

Chrysler 2.7L engine famous for sludge. What would be the best oil filter?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JustinJustin
      Participant

Nappa brand filters are affordable and have more pleats than Fram and STP filter and NAPA filters are made by WIX.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
        Participant

I agree, Napa filters seem like one of the better brands. However, the oil filter industry seems to be in flux with filters being sourced from new and various places.

So, what is a good filter today could be junk tomorrow. However oil filters, whatever the brand, are inexpensive compared to the cost of most automotive parts. So, I have a suggestion; buy two filters and cut one open to see what you are getting.

Robert McMahangaseousmercury
          Participant

I would go with a Factory brand Filter from the manufacturer. If you don’t want to spend that premium, my best advice would be to go with a Purolator brand filter. I’ve tried alot of filter, and I’ve taken alot of filters apart. The Purolator seems to be the best for aftermarket quality; there’s no cardboard inside.

BillBill
            Participant

The oil filter isn’t the problem with the 2.7L Chrysler. Poor crankcase ventilation and not enough oil capacity and a few other design flaws is the problem. Don`t matter what brand of filter you use. Using synthetic oil seems to help a bunch.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
              Participant

[quote=”wysetech” post=85380]The oil filter isn’t the problem with the 2.7L Chrysler. Poor crankcase ventilation and not enough oil capacity and a few other design flaws is the problem. Don`t matter what brand of filter you use. Using synthetic oil seems to help a bunch.[/quote]

Walmart is your friend here. They usually have synthetic on sale stacked in the aisle.

JamieJamie
                Participant

Factory filter all the time.

Another tip I’ve seen, and used in engines with low oil volume causing sludge is to add an external oil cooler. Even if you mount it where it doesn’t get any real air flow it adds a significant amount of oil volume.

That and use oil system cleaner. Sludge multiplys when its already there. If you can wash most of it out it helps out. IMO its $5 well spent.

Dave OlsonDave
                  Participant

If it were me I would just buy a cheap filter and change it more often. You could add half a quart of plain Transmission fluid to your oil every time you change it (ATF has a very high detergent content so it will clean the inside of the engine)

JeremyJeremy
                    Participant

I run WIX on everything.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…