Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • BMW X5 E53 2002 transmission failsafe program

BMW X5 E53 2002 transmission failsafe program

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here BMW X5 E53 2002 transmission failsafe program

• Creator
    Topic
    AdrianAdrian
    Participant

Hello all,

I have a BMW X5 E53 2002. A garage recently changed some hoses and expansion tank of the engine coolant system to fix leaks. Also, the valves cap gasket to fix some oil leak. The day after, I got this failure: Transmission failsafe prog, and it’s starting in third or fourth gear. I don’t know if could be somehow caused while working on the engine cooling system or that gasket. If so, what could be the problem?

I checked the transmission fluid, level is ok, the fluid is kind of brown, more than pink. It has 186,000 km (115,500 miles). I started the engine and took off the port and some fluid dropped from the port.

I’ve heard these vehicles are very sensitive to voltage issues. The battery has just 3 months, the battery is holding the voltage during the night (canada during winter), in the morning, voltage is 12.7Vdc. Alternator is giving 14.1Vdc (starts at 13.7 and slowly goes to 14.1Vdc). I suspected of the alternator because it’s just underneath the coolant tank, since they removed it, probably some coolant felt on the alternator. Would be 14.1Vdc ok?

I have seen some videos recommending to check and clean the TCM plug (EGS I think it’s called on BMWs). Not sure if I should mess with that. Besides, I dont have the electrical diagram.

How should I check?
      If a scanner is needed, could get one, not one like for a garage but something enough to diagnose, probably you could recommend something able to read a BMW.

Also, how could I determine if it’s a solenoid or pressure regulator in the transmission? Any simple way?

Thanks a lot.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Loading…