Menu

Brake Job Questions

• Creator
    Topic
    Matthew RossMatthew Ross
    Participant

Hey everyone,

A friend of mine has a 2009 Camry that needs a full brake job, and I’m going to do it for him. On my own cars, I invest in Akebono brake pads, but he’s trying to save some money. The pads he ended up buying come with two v-shaped springs. These springs are meant to push the pads away from the rotor while not braking. Here’s my question: how necessary is it to use these? They seem very cheap, and I’m worried they can damage the brake system if they snap.

Also, I’m assuming that this job will be relatively easy. Is there anything funky on the brake system of a 2009 Camry?

Thanks,

Matt

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      zerozero
      Participant

The spring are anti drag clips, and yes they are designed to pull the pads off the rotor when the brakes are not applied. While they are just cheap tiny pieces, they don’t really carry any load as they only act like a spring and are only responsible for moving the pads a few fractions of an inch off the rotor. Being that it’s a 2009 the car was probably designed with them, meaning that your friend didn’t buy the cheapest parts possible as they came with the associated brake hardware.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…