Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Breaking-in tips required for new air impact gun

Breaking-in tips required for new air impact gun

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Breaking-in tips required for new air impact gun

• Creator
    Topic
    ChrisChris
    Participant

Hi all,
      I’ve only recently got myself an air compressor and a new 1/2″ impact gun. I’m after some advice as to how to prepare the gun for first use and the best hose and size fittings to use (3/8’s rather than 1/4″?)
      Air compressor is 50L/12 gallons, 3HP and 150psi.
      I don’t have high hopes for the impact gun as it is a no frills brand and didn’t come with instructions!
      I bought some Lucas air tool oil as well.
      The gun will get light use running lug nuts and hopefully helping with the harder to shift fasteners for general car/light truck maintenance.

Thanks in advance!
      Chris.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JustinJustin
      Participant

Some of the other guys may have some suggestions. But I just keep mine oiled and greased.

I put whatever socket I’m using and hammer down. Never heard of a break in on an impact gun. Have always gone straight to heavy line work with them.

Look for a good 3/8 line and high flow air fittings. That will be more than enough to suit your needs. What gun did you buy? Just curious, love hearing people’s tool purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulPaul
        Participant

I didn’t break-in my impact when it was new, although it does not have a separate oil port for the hammer mechanism.

Before each first use, I would lubricate the motor: Place 2-3 drops of AT oil in the inlet, connect the hose, place a rag over the exhaust port, operate the tool for a brief moment (1-2 seconds), and wipe away any excess oil.

wafrederickwafrederick
          Participant

All I do is put in a drop of air tool oil and run it.

Josh GJosh G
            Participant

If you’re on a budget and there is any way to return the gun you bought and buy a Central Pneumatic Earthquake 1/2″ from Harbor Freight I would do it. You will eventually regret having a cheap weak impact. I’ve taken both the 1/2 & 3/8 earthquakes apart and I was really impressed by the quality of the internals. They both have lots of really positive reviews.

Definitely use a 3/8 hose! It will make a big difference. The bigger the ID of your air hose the less friction the air encounters as it moves through. As an example blow through a regular straw then try and blow through a coffee straw. Get a quality hybrid hose not that PVC crap…I really like the flexilla hose. Goodyear rubber hoses are good too but not as flexible as a hybrid.

Most air tools say to run the tool at 90 psi. I’m not aware of any auto shop that runs less than 125 psi line pressure. I personally run as high as possible which is 150 psi for my compressor. It really makes a big difference in the performance of the tool so it is worth it to me to do that.

Use hi-flow fittings. Their opening is like 3x bigger than a regular I/M fitting. Also a hi-flow coupler will still accept a I/M fitting if you have any tools that don’t require high flow. If you put a high flow fitting on your air hose you will need to replace the coupler on your compressor will a high flow coupler so it can accept the fitting.

Impacts don’t need a break-in. Put a few drops of air oil in the air fitting hole before use. I do take them apart every so often and regrease the dog clutch hammer.

Again, I would recommend that you go ahead and invest in a quality set up. Although lugs are torqued to about 100ftlb they often require 300 or more to remove after they’ve corroded on there a while. Crank and axle nuts even more than that.

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
              Participant

125psi normally drops to 90psi working pressure. 150psi drops to 115psi working pressure normally.

High flow and 3/8 ID line will definitely help have to watch doing that though cause some things are not made for that and can go boom. Just an fyi.

GregGreg
                Participant

My Snap on 3/8 was going in for a rebuild so I picked up an earthquake 3/8 to use while my snap on was being repaired. That little cheap gun has pretty good power and hasn’t failed yet. It is a little heavier than my snap on but every bit as good. As far as breaking the guns in I just add a couple drops of airtool oil before each use and go to work

Josh GJosh G
                  Participant

[quote=”gmule” post=159336]My Snap on 3/8 was going in for a rebuild so I picked up an earthquake 3/8 to use while my snap on was being repaired. That little cheap gun has pretty good power and hasn’t failed yet. It is a little heavier than my snap on but every bit as good. As far as breaking the guns in I just add a couple drops of airtool oil before each use and go to work[/quote]

Those Earthquakes are pretty amazing. The guys over there at Garage Journal are like obsessed with them 😆 If you ever go and take it apart you’ll see that the parts just look and feel quality. And yeah the 3/8 does pack a punch I normally use it for everything including lugs and axle nuts. I only break out the 1/2 every now and then.

Also just got an Astro Nano in 3/8 at 450lbft. It’s like 1/2 the size of a regular impact. I don’t have a ton of use on it yet, but it’s the most awesome impact I’ve ever seen or used! It has been able to zip fasteners off that the 3/8 earthquake cannot so I know that it’s for sure more powerful, and when I pick it up I still can’t believe how low profile it is.

GregGreg
                    Participant

[quote=”JayMann07″ post=159350][quote=”gmule” post=159336]My Snap on 3/8 was going in for a rebuild so I picked up an earthquake 3/8 to use while my snap on was being repaired. That little cheap gun has pretty good power and hasn’t failed yet. It is a little heavier than my snap on but every bit as good. As far as breaking the guns in I just add a couple drops of airtool oil before each use and go to work[/quote]

Those Earthquakes are pretty amazing. The guys over there at Garage Journal are like obsessed with them 😆 If you ever go and take it apart you’ll see that the parts just look and feel quality. And yeah the 3/8 does pack a punch I normally use it for everything including lugs and axle nuts. I only break out the 1/2 every now and then.

Also just got an Astro Nano in 3/8 at 450lbft. It’s like 1/2 the size of a regular impact. I don’t have a ton of use on it yet, but it’s the most awesome impact I’ve ever seen or used! It has been able to zip fasteners off that the 3/8 earthquake cannot so I know that it’s for sure more powerful, and when I pick it up I still can’t believe how low profile it is.

Thanks for that tip I would love to have a powerful gun that fits in small places

Josh GJosh G
                      Participant

Yeah man! You gotta get it! At only about $100 you’ll be so glad you did :cheer:

http://www.amazon.com/Astro-1828-Impact-Wrench-450ft/dp/B016Q4Y5CM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456008369&sr=8-1&keywords=3%2F8+nano

Delwyn ChingDelwyn Ching
                        Participant

All I did/do is put 4-5 drops of air tool oil in the air inlet and started right to work. Reoil after about 3-4 hours of use and at the end of the day. You need to grease it after about 10-15 hours of use. My IR and Aircat 1/2″ has a grease port but the Snap On MG725 doesn’t.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…