Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Broken lock tab on Ignition Wire connector

Broken lock tab on Ignition Wire connector

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Broken lock tab on Ignition Wire connector

• Creator
    Topic
    willy johnsonwaleed
    Participant

I was pulling out the plugs to check the gap on my 2013 rio. The first tab broke really easily. It was still held in place, and wouldnt come free. I superglued the tab back in and pushed it and used some black rtv around the coil on boot connector to be safe.

Should I leave it as is? Even with nothing on it, it would wiggle a tiny bit but with engine running no misfire and I cant pull it out. I cant buy the connector but the entire wire loom for one stupid connector oem only.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dave TidmanDave Tidman
      Participant

I’ve had the same issue on my wife’s VW. I just plugged it back into the coil and I have had no issues. If you had a connection issue I would think a misfire code would come up quite quickly.

Billy AndrewsBilly
        Participant

Zip tie is the standard solution. Done it for years, never had one fail to work perfectly.

willy johnsonwaleed
          Participant

I removed the rtv and just used the zip tie. It did have some superglue on it. I noticed the 2 wires sometimes has a very tiny slack in them when u pull on them a little, but I never had CEL for a misfire. Is this normal? Sometimes the car has some rumble when I hold the brakes at a light. Someone mentioned it could be the motor mounts but im not sure.

Antonio C MichaelAntonio C Michael
            Participant

As long as it’s staying connected you should be okay if they don’t same the connector pigtale by them selves you could always check Napa auto parts they might be able to get you another pigtale connector but other then that if it’s holding it should be fine if your not ha ing any firing issues

willy johnsonwaleed
              Participant

I dont believe there is a misfire. I wiggle the connector a little and it doesnt produce an engine light, codes or anything. Only reason I mention is because sometimes I feel a vibration coming from inside, which could be the mounts. Usually its when I hold the pedal at a stop.

Participant

Even motor mounts being at there worst the vibration is to far away to make the plugs come off you should be fine a little wiggle is okay a large wiggle is bad since you have a little wiggle you should be good to go if you feel more comfortable you could always try to get pig tails from Napa but a short video of the movement and some photos would be great I could give you better information if I could see it’s movement

willy johnsonwaleed
                  Participant

Thanks, The connector is solidly held in place with super glue and zip ties with no movement at all. The wires at the back of the connector I feel have a very very slight movement when I pull on them before the connector sometimes. Probably normal for most connectors I guess. Thats what I meant, but no check engine light or codes at all. I am only worried because I tool the coil and wire off so many times.

Participant

Don’t be so worried they will hold up fine only stress about it when it starts causing problems but untill then you should be good to go

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…