Menu

Broken Lug Studs on fairly new car?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Broken Lug Studs on fairly new car?

• Creator
    Topic
    willy johnsonwaleed
    Participant

i was checking my rear brakes on my 2013 kia rio, when one wheel had super tight lug nuts. Couldnt heat it up as it would probably just damage the wheel cover. I had removed the wheels several times, and last time I got my winter tires swapped was about two months ago. The shop that I go to torques them, but these were just super tight. It took at least 140ft/lbs to get two studs off.

Anyways i never really like to use oil on the threads, but I never personally had studs snap. I always torque them at home. This time I added some light penetrating oil to the threads. I was hesistant to use anti-seize because I heard too many negative things about overtorquing using it.

Anyways, what is best, to add lubricant/ antiseize or just leave it?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Never used any type of oil on wheel lugs.
        Only thing was to torque them to spec. never had much issue.

willy johnsonwaleed
        Participant

I inspected the studs and nuts and they seemed fine with no obvious damage, but it seems if I look very carefully some have stretched a tiny amount right where it seats the rotor. It isnt really even noticeable unless you take a very good look at it. I took the wheels off several times and retorqued them just to be sure.

Antonio C MichaelAntonio C Michael
          Participant

Once a bolt of any kind even a wheel stud goes past the yield point and it stretched and deforms that stud / bolt is spend any studs you have that are stretched you will want to replace dont use antiseize or oil on wheel studs could cause the lug nuts to pre maturely loosen while in motion

willy johnsonwaleed
            Participant

My friend measured them and said they were the same length but on my end looked like it was maybe a hair bigger. A mechanic told me studs can vary a little in length

Antonio C MichaelAntonio C Michael
              Participant

That correct they can very on length I was just saying if you stretch it past the yield point on any bolt that bolt is spent and you have to buy a new one dosent apply st moment because your fine was just some knowledge for you was all

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…