Menu

Buying Snap-On at a Retailer

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Buying Snap-On at a Retailer

• Creator
    Topic
    Scott FeitScott Feit
    Participant

Is there any way to buy Snap-On tools at a retailer? As far as I can tell, the only two options are order online or tool truck. I ask because I am fortunate enough to have an aunt who is willing to gift me a new ratchet for the holidays, but she only shops retail. (I am not really sure why.)

My other question is should I even bother? I am by no means a professional mechanic, but I have been using a cheap ratchet I got in a cheap ratchet set since I began doing automotive work about 3 years ago and I’m really starting to see the limitations. I really want something with a small swing arc, a thin, locking swivel head, and a long handle, but I’m not sure if I need the best, even if it will be a gift. What do you think?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Kevin CriswellKevin Criswell
      Participant

I’ll probably catch hell for this, but I have started using these

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-quick-release-swivel-head-ratchet-96782.html

I was given a complete set as a gift and have abused the heck out of them and they stand up as well as my Snap-on version does.

I also have one of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-and-38-drive-x-14-38-double-head-flex-ratchet-wrench-67994.html

and managed to break it 😳 , but that one I used incorrectly and was not very suprised it broke. Nice thing was all I had to do was carry it back into the store and they gave me a new one no questions asked. Comes in super handy when you don’t have room for a full sized ratchet and can’t get a gear wrench on it.

Nathan JohnstonNathan Johnston
        Participant

The Snapons and Macs are definitely nice tools. You can feel the quality. Although i probably would save the money that is spent on 1 snap on ratchet and and get 2 different craftsman’s that suit your needs, or Harbor Freight, although they are probably made by infants in some 3rd world country, I have herd DIY people having good luck with them.

Kevin CriswellKevin Criswell
          Participant

[quote=”Carguy83″ post=78982]The Snapons and Macs are definitely nice tools. You can feel the quality. Although i probably would save the money that is spent on 1 snap on ratchet and and get 2 different craftsman’s that suit your needs, or Harbor Freight, although they are probably made by infants in some 3rd world country, I have herd DIY people having good luck with them.[/quote]

I heard the Pittsburgh pro stuff is being made in Taiwan now, quality is MUCH better.

Rudy WilmothRudy Wilmoth
            Participant

🙂 If your aunt wants to shop in a retail store, then Sears or Lowes would be the best choice. You can still get a Sears tool catalog from the store or sent to you from the website. The Lowes tools can be seen online and ordered and bought at the store. Being able to purchase a more precise ratchet may not help you much 90% of the time, but that one time that it does work better than your old ratchet will make up for any concerns about cost and usage. Good Luck

Robert McMahangaseousmercury
              Participant

You can get lightly used Snapon ratchets on ebay for a reasonable price. I buy most of my high end hand tools used. Remember, most of the top brands have lifetime warranties.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…