Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Can anything beat a VTEC at High RPM dirt track?

Can anything beat a VTEC at High RPM dirt track?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Can anything beat a VTEC at High RPM dirt track?

• Creator
    Topic
    Matt GriffinMatt Griffin
    Participant

Damn Honda Preludes are wiping the floor and leave no room to compete. Any ideas what can keep up at all? Has to be 4 cyl as well.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jason WhiteJason White
      Participant

I don’t really know what you are talking about but do you even know exactly what VTEC is? It’s a simple system which has been used for 20 years now that basically changes cam profiles on the intake side. A lot of car companies are making this similar system. You could just as easily put a larger cam in from the get-go and make even more power, It’s a good system for a daily driven car, but it’s a bit outdated being only a 2 stage system. Nissan’s VVEL controls lift and durration of the valves throughout the range of RPM’s and throttle positions, and in fact is much better in so many ways. BMW does the same thing. Mainly because it boosts torque on the bottom end as well as hp on the top end. It will be making it’s way to the 4 cylinders soon. Other car makes are doing similar actions, mainly in the name of emissions, but the “side effect” of a more efficient engine is more power.

Matt GriffinMatt Griffin
        Participant

Yes i understand VTEC but am not sure how my understanding helps me out. Technology that hasnt made its way to 4 cyl doesnt help me either. Ive looked into all the other systems I can but our rules and regs kinda suck. Im just looking for car suggestions really that I have maybe looked over. If you need more info on anything feel free to ask.

Nicholas ClarkNicholas Clark
          Participant

Buy a Honda if your regulations blow. If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em.

Thomas FerryThomas Ferry
            Participant

Maybe a Subaru ej-20 with a Turbo might. Especially if you was willing to give up a lower spun Turbo for a higher spun one. Assuming you stay in the turbo’s rpm boost range

GregGreg
              Participant

[quote=”Jinzo” post=165418]Maybe a Subaru ej-20 with a Turbo might. Especially if you was willing to give up a lower spun Turbo for a higher spun one. Assuming you stay in the turbo’s rpm boost range[/quote]

I was going to suggest the same vehicle

Thomas FerryThomas Ferry
                Participant

[quote=”gmule” post=165420][quote=”Jinzo” post=165418]Maybe a Subaru ej-20 with a Turbo might. Especially if you was willing to give up a lower spun Turbo for a higher spun one. Assuming you stay in the turbo’s rpm boost range[/quote]

I was going to suggest the same vehicle[/quote]

Ya I was thinking something along the lines of an impreza or wrx. I’d replace the normal subaru turbo with a higher spun one but since we are doing high RPM the lag would be a non issue because you’d be in its range all the time. The EJ-20 engine is 4 cylinder and pretty much the basis for the mid 2000’s sti cars.

I also had the thought of a newer Ford Focus with the Eco boost engines in it too but that would be budget overkill. Also a Lancer Evo would do well here too but the problem with those is they aren’t as forgiving as the honda or the subaru’s are about being abused.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…