Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Can I just leave the AC compressor off my engine?

Can I just leave the AC compressor off my engine?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Can I just leave the AC compressor off my engine?

• Creator
    Topic
    IanIan
    Participant

Hey gang. I’m doing a top end rebuild right now on my 1994 plymouth acclaim with a v6 6g72 engine in it. anyway, the AC hasn’t worked since i got the car, ive tried diagnosing it but every time i charge it it all just leaks out. So i really dont care about or need AC anyways…windows down 24/7 when its nice out B) So i’d just like to remove the whole assembly. the Pump itself is the only accessory driven by its own belt, everything else runs off the serp belt. any time i have to do something with the engine its a pain in the butt to get the ac belt off before the serp belt, as well as the big dumb bracket holding it all in…

so if i just remove the whole assembly do you think everything will be fine? my main concern would be i suppose the shear exerted on the crankcase pulley without both belts on pulling in either direction? Logic says the shear of a serp belt isn’t nearly enough force to cause any ill effects to the crankcase or harmonic balancer… but crazier things have happened… thanks^^

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

You wouldn’t be the first to remove a compressor so no worries there.
        Only suggestion I make is that you try to plug the lines to prevent debris getting in.

ReginaldReginald
        Participant

I bought my used car with no A/C compressor in it, one of the previous owners had removed it long ago for whatever reason. Like the above poster said, just plug the lines.

IanIan
          Participant

Figured it wouldn’t be a problem, thanks for the confirmation guys!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…