Menu

Car acts funny at 45MPH

• Creator
    Topic
    MatthewMatthew
    Participant

Couple days ago as i was taking my mom somewhere in her car on the way home her car acted funny this was the first time it ever happened.

The speed Limit was 45MPH and i was going 40MPH and the car at first jittered side to side (as if i was turning the wheel both directions quickly). for a few seconds than stopped. Than when i tried to get up to 45 it acted strange again the car as i press the gas the car would speed up to 45 but the tach dropped to 1000 RPMs i let off the gas car went back down to 40MPH tach went back up to 2000RPM this happened twice before i was able to get it to stay at 45 in the process of the tach dropping as i gave it gas the engine started jerking shuttering or whatever you want to call it. both insidents only lasted a few seconds and my mom didnt even notice it.

Any idea what this was about?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Shaun FlichelShaun Flichel
      Participant

some more info on the vehicle will help. year, make, model, engine size, any work done before problem started?

MatthewMatthew
        Participant

the impala in m y sig. its got the 3800 series II v6 only work done was pumping nearly a entire can of fix-a-flat in two tyres

Shaun FlichelShaun Flichel
          Participant

Is it shifting when the rpms fluctuate, do you feel anything on the steering wheel?

MatthewMatthew
            Participant

it was in drive when the rpms went all over i felt the fluctuation in the wheel

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

Based on your description I’d be looking for a transmission problem. If i’m not mistaken, that’s a ‘sealed’ transmission that doesn’t have a dip stick to check the fluid. I think the only way to check the fluid is to raise all 4 wheels off the ground so it’s level. Then remove the inspection plug to check the level. Aside from checking the fluid, possibly changing it and the filter, there is probably little you can do to solve a transmission problem if that’s what it ends up being.

Keep us posted.

MatthewMatthew
                Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=76085]Based on your description I’d be looking for a transmission problem. If i’m not mistaken, that’s a ‘sealed’ transmission that doesn’t have a dip stick to check the fluid. I think the only way to check the fluid is to raise all 4 wheels off the ground so it’s level. Then remove the inspection plug to check the level. Aside from checking the fluid, possibly changing it and the filter, there is probably little you can do to solve a transmission problem if that’s what it ends up being.

Keep us posted.[/quote]

the 3800 does have a tranny dipstick the problem has not acted up since.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                  Keymaster

Hopefully it stays that way. Keep us posted if things change.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…