Menu

car battery question

• Creator
    Topic
    lyle erickssonlyle ericksson
    Participant

if u buy a new battery and put in in your car but not drive ur car is there a chance the battery will not be able to start the car when u finally do power it up? after how many days would this occur ? this happened to me and i want to know if it means i have a power leak or if its normal since the car was not driven for maybe 60 days

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jonathon EngerJonathon Enger
      Participant

It’s possible the battery could drain enough that it wouldn’t have enough power to start the vehicle after 60 days. That’s a long time. If you are going to have a car sit that long you should connect it to a battery maintainer. ETCG has a good video on checking for parasitic draw. That will tell you if your car is drawing more power than it should while it’s sitting.

vincenzo masiellovincenzo masiello
        Participant

I personally experimented with that for a long time many years ago when i was a field tech and have to leave cars in long term airport lots. More than two weeks will kill a car battery unless a miracle happens. These days they sell little solar squares that you can just throw at your dash (if you pick a spot where there is sun) that works as a trickle charger when connected to a lighter outlet. Otherwise, carry a fully charged lithium battery pack (10-20 Ah’a) with a USB to about 12.5 volt converter to feed the car battery with a few milliamp’s continuously and keep the car topped off until you come back to use it again

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…