Menu

Car that refuses to start.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Car that refuses to start.

• Creator
    Topic
    J .J.
    Participant

I have a 1993 Intrepid with 65000 miles, automatic trans, fully loaded, and 3.5 L engine. A few weeks ago the car was loosing power during a drive then stopped. The fuel pump was suspected as the problem, so both the pump and filter were replaced. When the car was tried again, it briefly ran for 5 seconds even with the pedal to the floor and died out to not start again. The automatic shutdown relay was replaced along with the fuel pump relay. The fuel pump fuse was checked but okay. Since I do not have a fuel pressure gauge, the valve on the fuel rail was depressed during engine crank, pressure seemed adequate. The crank sensor, and cam sensor were replaced. The spark plugs were replaced and coil was checked for spark. Spark is good. Lastly, as a precaution, the timing belt was checked. Timing marks line up, therefore the belt did not jump. With these tasks completed, the engine turns over but does not start. Any suggestions to further isolate and solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      sam priemsam priem
      Participant

try to get your hands on a fuel pressure tester. Some auto stores like oreillys rents them out to people. You put a deposit down on it and once you return it, you get the full amount back. I wouldnt trust simply pushing the valve down. i would also check the other basic, compression. did it have any other sypmtoms before it died? did it seem to sturggle to turn over? did it seem to turn over easier than normal?

BillBill
        Participant

Assuming that all tests were done correctly you did not say if the fuel injectors were checked for operation. If OK there is a possibility that the catalytic converter is plugged. Remove the O2 sensor and see if it runs.

college mancollege man

check the fuel pump relay and fuses.I think the heated
            o2 sensor is on that fuse. check all the fuses. If the pcm
            does not see crank signal the pcm shuts down fuel. asd relay.

http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/2m7ji-1993-dodge-intrepid-es-3-5l-no-start-turnover-no-start.html

MARK FELDSTEINMARK FELDSTEIN
            Participant

Welcome to the forum. banana:
              My initial thought is to stop replacing parts until you know for sure that they’re defective. We’ve all been tempted and have done that but thorough diagnosis can save you bucks and headaches down the road (once you get there). Eric’s video and the one from Scotty Kilmer (below) is useful I think, to help you get back to some basic diagnostics in a no start condition.

For example, when you checked the coil for spark, where were you checking? At the coil itself or end of the plug wire for the number one cylinder? Is the engine rotating? Have you checked the oil?

And here’s ECTG’s video on no crank no start quick checks.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…