Menu

CATASTROPHIC FAILURES

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG Suggestion Box CATASTROPHIC FAILURES

• Creator
    Topic
    Dean BibbyDean Bibby
    Participant

The question is a general one that would deal with if a part does fail; how dangerous would that be? Also what would the progression of symptoms be? For example the video on the rattling engine in the Jeep that finally blew a rod through the side of the block, or the bearing hum on the Vigor. How long could you have just let it hum? Would the sound change as it got worse? when a bearing finally completely fails does the wheel fall off? Will certain parts destroy other parts if they are allowed to fail.
      I am proposing this topic as an addendum to the NOISES VIDEOS perhaps or as an ETCG1 topic.
      I am DIYer due to financial neccessity simply can not afford to throw money at a problem untill it goes away.

Respectfully;
      Northerndean
      PS You have been providing a service of great value Just because you like being helpful? Well done!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      James O'HaraJames O’Hara
      Participant

It is not that simple. All vehicles are not made equal. Sometimes a valve tap turns into a head job in 3 days or in the case of my car and how I feather the gas to get it to go away it can last over 6 months. (I do not recommend doing this btw)

While I do think it would be awesome to do a video of all the most common noises per part ie engine, trans, etc and what it sounds like in the car and out of the car. He could go around to the local shops and ask them to give him a call when they get a car in with a particular noise and he could go record it.

Trying to predict when a part will fail has so many variables its not possible. The frequency you change your oil, the additive packages in your oil, friction modifiers you add to your oil, how hot your engine gets, how hard you beat on it, mashing the throttle vs slowly revving up. Then there is who makes the parts, what they are made out of, what kind of climate are you in, the road conditions, etc. There are just way too many variables to give an accurate timeline and/or even a range. If you are talking one product, one engine, the same operating conditions, and you know how the driver drives then maybe maybe you can give a range but, mechanics avoid this because of liability.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

[quote=”northerndean” post=142911]The question is a general one that would deal with if a part does fail; how dangerous would that be? Also what would the progression of symptoms be? For example the video on the rattling engine in the Jeep that finally blew a rod through the side of the block, or the bearing hum on the Vigor. How long could you have just let it hum? Would the sound change as it got worse? when a bearing finally completely fails does the wheel fall off? Will certain parts destroy other parts if they are allowed to fail.
          I am proposing this topic as an addendum to the NOISES VIDEOS perhaps or as an ETCG1 topic.
          I am DIYer due to financial neccessity simply can not afford to throw money at a problem untill it goes away.

Respectfully;
          Northerndean
          PS You have been providing a service of great value Just because you like being helpful? Well done![/quote]

Interesting suggestion. BTW the Vigor never had a bearing noise.

It’s not that simple. You really can’t categorize a noise like that. It’s kind of a case by case thing. The best you can do is try and determine the source of the noise. It depends on what’s causing it, and it’s severity. I just feel it wouldn’t be possible to intelligently cover a topic like this in a video because it’s so subjective. However, I did write this article talking about the subject.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/diagnosing-noises-in-your-car

Thanks for the suggestion.

Dean BibbyDean Bibby
          Participant

Good reply thanks.
            I will simplify the question and repost in another part of the forum. Can you suggest where to put it?
            northerndean.

Keymaster

If it’s a question about failures of this type, perhaps the General Automotive Discussion thread might work best.

ratdude747ratdude747
              Participant

I still see potential of a video along the lines of the title… perhaps an ETCG1 video on the most catastrophic failures you’ve come across? The Honda with half the suspension toast (and a snapped ball joint) comes to mind. As you said in the first video of that series, “When bad things happen…”

Keymaster

I feel something like that would be better if I had an example. Perhaps if something comes into the shop that falls under that category I will, but once again, it’s a very broad topic.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…