Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Chabge oil according to mileage or age?

Chabge oil according to mileage or age?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Maintenance Forums Chabge oil according to mileage or age?

• Creator
    Topic
    James ForrestJames Forrest
    Participant

Just a simple question. I drive my 2010 F150 4.6 3v maybe 4000 miles a year. I use Motorcraft semi-synthetic oil and always reach the recommended date change on the window sticker before the oil has even 3000 miles on it.

Should I change it ever x months or change it according to miles? I’m thinking condensation may determine the real answer but I’m not sure how “old” oil has to be before changing it.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Andrew ButtonAndrew Button
      Participant

City driving dirt roads, ect. don’t go 3000 miles. Its not that expensive to change. Look at the oil and if its dark and thin and stinks, regardless of miles, change it. If its more honey like, and you are not at your interval, give it some more time.

Andy WhiteAndy White
        Participant

4000 miles is nothing, you can run a whole year on the oil. I would suggest you switch to a full synthetic oil.

Gary BrownGary
          Participant

Andrew gave you a good rule of thumb. I always do 3,000 miles on my truck oil and filter with conventional oil. Even if you don’t drive in dirty and dusty conditions though, blowby happens. Combustion byproducts need to go somewhere, and that’s in your oil. Having that stuff float around in there is certainly not ideal as the additive packages wear out as well. I would NEVER go any more than 5,000 miles. In all honesty, in the tractor game, we go by hours of runtime which is far more accurate than miles. Idling is bad for the oil especially with a carb as idle is when fuel dilution occurs most. Idling does not contribute to the odometer. Changing twice a year AT LEAST if you don’t drive that much is the best way to go about it. With excessive idling, dirty and dusty conditions, or just the older the engine(more blowby), you should change your oil more often. Conventional oil 3,000 miles. A semi or full synthetic 5,000 miles.

Rob JorgensenRob Jorgensen
            Participant

The owners manual for my Honda Ridgeline says to change it once a year if the maintenance minder doesn’t call for a change.

John FergusonJohn Ferguson
              Participant

Engine oil becomes acidic because nitric acid forms from the super heating of nitrogen and water in the combustion chamber. Engine oils have buffering agents to neutralize the acids and protect the engine, especially sensitive parts like bearings. That is the main reason that there is a recommended time for the oil change interval. However, these synthetic blend oils can last about 6,000 miles if you use the correct oil filter. They have extra buffering agents to last longer. The cheap filters are designed to last only about 3,000 miles with standard engine oil. The days of changing oil every 3,000 miles are gone because modern engine oils are far superior.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…