Menu

check engine light reset

• Creator
    Topic
    Austin RochesterAustin Rochester
    Participant

Is there any instance were resetting the check engine light can fix a prob. It came on so I took it to the dealer like they told Me they reset the light and said that it sometimes fixes the prob but I took it to the mechanic and he said never let them just reset it I need opinions. The light said it was the torque converter before they reset it and has not come back on since. Plz help

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      KennyKenny
      Participant

Short answer: I don’t think so.

Long answer:

About the only time I can think of off the top of my head just resetting the light fixes a problem is if a customer drove around with the gas cap hanging out and caused an EVAP leak dtc.

Just clearing codes will only reset the trouble code’s failure count to 0 and it will run and fail enough times again to set a check engine light in the future. The only way to fix a check engine light is to diagnose and fix the failure that caused the trouble code to fail and set a check engine light.

But… I don’t know what make/model vehicle you own, maybe your dealer knows something that I don’t.

Also the torque convertor code may have failed enough times in a certain number of ignition cycles to only set a check engine light this time, it may never do the same thing again and you may never see a check engine light ever again.

What specific code was it? Usually the tech should note the code and you should be able to see it on the hard copy receipt you get when you pick up the car.

Austin RochesterAustin Rochester
        Participant

Its a 99 buick regal

John HugonJohn Hugon
          Participant

In my opinion until the light comes back on don’t worry. Resetting lights will not repair the issue, but if the light is not on now…keep driving. Next time the light illuminates as GooberGrape stated: “get the specific code’ and it can be diagnosed.

If it really concerns you, you may also go back to your Technician and ask to do a scan for a history code and do diagnosis from that point.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…